WILMINGTON — The following information is obtained from the Clinton County Health Department and is compiled from inspection reports.
Violations are either critical or non-critical. Critical violations are more likely to contribute to food contamination, illness or an environmental health hazard, including inadequate cooking of food items or poor personal hygiene.
For a more detailed description of critical and non-critical violations, or to file a public health or food safety complaint about a restaurant, contact the Clinton County Health Department by calling 937-382-7221.
The following restaurants or food service establishments were inspected recently and violations/comments include:
• Red Zone Neighborhood Grill, 762 W. Main St., Blanchester, Jan. 25. Verification demonstrating employees know when to report illness is unavailable. Clean procedure for vomit/diarrhea incidents unavailable.
Critical: Raw fish and raw pork loin found stored on top of beer kegs in walk-in cooler. Cartons of raw eggs found stored above whipped spread (margarine) in walk-in cooler.
Observed food handler cutting raw chicken next to steam table. Baked potatoes and mac & cheese missing date marks in 2-door reach-in cooler. marinara sauce found dated 12/1/16 in walk-in cooler. Box of potato wedges found on walk-in freezer floor. Observed chipped serving plates, Observed ice build-up on bottom of condenser in walk-in freezer. Observed rusty screws in ice making machine. Cheese sauce dispenser front is damaged/cracked. Observed melted handle on spoon in hot holding gravy. Microwave, toaster and blender are household use equipment. Door handles of 2-door reach-in cooler has food residue accumulations. Dust observed on fan covers in walk-in cooler. Glass cart at bar has debris accumulations. Hot water unavailable in restrooms. Trash cans in kitchen/warewash area have food accumulations on exterior and in handles. Grease and food debris observed under fryers/oven and on side of equipment. Sludge-like and food debris accumulations found under warewash machine. Bar floor requires cleaning under equipment. Light non working ceiling fixture above dish table/near prep sink. Floor is loose in walk-in cooler. Wall near flat-top grill has holes. Wet mop head fund on floor. signage posted to dump mop water in grass. Extra dining booths observed outside at rear of building. Spray bottle of cleaner missing label.
Follow-up inspection: Feb. 17.
• Gold Star Chili, 942 Cherry St., Blanchester, Jan. 25. Sign-off sheet unavailable to demonstrate staff knows when to report illness. Shelf of table with cheese shredding equipment is touching floor shelves. Critical: tomato 45°F (Prep cooler near grill). Observed icing of product in unit.
Thermometer missing in Rock Star cooler storing milk. Prep cooler next to grill cannot maintain correct temperatures without use of ice. Surface below milk shake equipment is not in good repair. Black residue observed by inner guard of ice making machine. Noodle tub stored on old noodle tubs on ground near warewash machine. Handwash sign missing in men’s restroom. Dust observed on ceiling above steam table and ice making machine.
• Ron’s Place, 126 S. Broadway St., Blanchester, Jan. 25. Critical: Observed food handler handle RTE cheese without gloves. Raw pork shops, pork loin burgers found stored above lettuce/tomatoes.
Potato soup date marked 1/17/17. Spoon found in closed container of cole slaw. Thermometer unavailable in bar cooler storing whipping cream. Grease observed on side table and side of fryer. Duct tape on handle of utensil at flat-top grill. Air gap is not visible at soda fountain machine. Floor paint in kitchen worn. Toilet seat in men’s restroom has coating peeled — not easy to clean? Plywood under ice machine is not sealed.
• Subway, 2825 SR 73, Wilmington, Jan. 24. Critical: The gravy on the hot bar was dated 1/24 to be discarded by 12 p.m. It was 3 p.m. at time of inspection. In the walk-in cooler there was a bag of meatballs dated 1/20 for discard. The following sauces — vinegar, BBQ, vinaigrette, mustard and brown mustard — were dated to be used by/discarded by 1/20.
The front of the “Icee” machine had duct tape on it, holding it closed? Also appeared that syrup was leaking onto counter. The exit door at the back of the facility, there was wallpaper? Drywall exposed on the door casing.
Follow-up: Feb. 23.
• Caesar’s Creek BP, 7126 SR 73, Wilmington, Jan. 26. Follow-up. The working packages of hot dogs and sausages in the walk-in cooler are not labeled or dated. Ice machine has lots of dirt accumulation on the outside of the machine. There are 2 lights burnt out in the walk-in cooler. the inside of the sandwich microwave is dirty.(2nd Notice.) The ceiling metal strips in the dry storage area are rusted and dirty. The floors in the dry storage area are dirty. There is a broken and patched wall in the dry storage area. The floor around the cove molding by the sandwich cooler is dirty. (2nd Notice.)
Follow-up: Feb. 22.
• Subway, 657 W. Main St., Blanchester, Jan. 25. No concerns at time of visit.
• American Showa, 3343 SR 28, Blanchester, Jan. 25. Sign-off sheet unavailable to demonstrate knowledge of staff for reporting illness. Dry stockroom walls are not easy to clean.
• New Vienna Citizens Center, 12 W. Main St., New Vienna, Jan. 19. Everything looks good. Thank you!
• Roberts Centre, 123 Gano Road, Wilmington, Jan. 23. Food stored on floor in walk-in freezer. Platter equipment observed with chips/damage.The light intensity in the walk-in cooler is less than 10 foot candles (must be 10 or more). Cove trim separating from wall in warewashing area. Light nonworking in vent hood above cooking equipment.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU