WILMINGTON — The following information is obtained from the Clinton County Health Department and is compiled from inspection reports.
Violations are either critical or non-critical. Critical violations are more likely to contribute to food contamination, illness or an environmental health hazard, including inadequate cooking of food items or poor personal hygiene.
For a more detailed description of critical and non-critical violations, or to file a public health or food safety complaint about a restaurant, contact the Clinton County Health Department by calling 937-382-7221.
The following restaurants or food service establishments were inspected recently and violations/comments include:
• Taco Bell, 1701 Rombach Ave., Wilmington. Feb. 14. Critical: There was no procedure posted for cleaning up vomiting/diarrhea. There were 5 containers of “Pico” in walk-in cooler that were “dated” use by 7 a.m. Feb. 14. (At time of inspection it was 3:30 p.m. Feb. 14.) Also during inspection employee was changing date/time on metal containers in hot holding unit. Employees are using Sharpies to write on metal containers and dates and times are unreadable. The chicken strips in the hot holding warmer were at 131°F with an unreadable date and time. The seals on the slushie machine are dirty. The faceplate on the soda machines were dirty with splatter. The containers of sauce on the make lines (chipotle, spicy ranch, avocado and creamy jalapeno) are not dated or labeled with time and date of “use by.” The grill area on the line over the hot holding area is dirty and has food product debris on it. Sauces on line at room temp with no dates/times.
Wall behind the 3-compatment sink is dirty. The caulking around the 3-compartment sink is cracking and pulling away. The floor under the make line is dirty. The caulking around the hand sink at the drive-thru window and along the back counter is dirty and needs replaced. Floors throughout entire facility have food and paper products under equipment.
• Wilmington College Sandella’s Flatbread Cafe, 256 College St., Wilmington. Feb. 13. Food handler did not wash hands between tasks and taking customer money. Verification demonstrating employees know when to report illness unavailable. Clean-up procedure for vomit/diarrhea incidents unavailable. Squeeze bottles, seasoning shakers missing label. Cloths used for air drying of dishes. Ice bucket stored in mop room. Hand sink was not accessible. Cutting board was stored on top with storage of tortilla/wraps. Critical: Observed two bags of chicken thawing on counter. Employee removes from freezer early in shift to thaw.
Follow-up, March 6.
• McDonald’s, W. Main St., Blanchester. Feb. 10. Observed employee sweeping floor with broom with gloves on. Employee put up broom and continued to get chicken nuggets from fryer and put into (illegible). Observed employees in sandwich line with no hair restraints. Verification demonstrating employees know when to report illness is unavailable. Observed food handler wearing bracelets and preparing food in sandwich line. Wet cloth observed at sandwich line.Observed black residues on inner guard of ice making machine. Observed platters in oven. Grease accumulations observed on floor of grill.
Critical: Written policy for time holding at products unavailable.
• Caesar Creek Pizza and Subs, 7763 SR 73 W, Wilmington. Feb. 12. One of the lights in the hood unit is not currently working. The back splash area of the soda machines were dirty/lots of pop splatter.
• Traditions Restaurant and Catering, 78 N. Howard St., Sabina. Feb. 14. There is a small bowl being used for scoop in the home fries. There was food debris on the wall behind the slicer. Light over steam table nonworking. There were some broken floor tiles in the kitchen. Critical: The slicer had food debris on the blade.
• Jen’s Deli, 28 W. Main St., Wilmington. Feb. 16. Follow-up. The following violations have been corrected: 3.4 and 6.4. Thank you. Cartons of eggs upstairs dated when collected, 1 carton of egg downstairs has dream catcher label while other containers just have date collected stickers. Boar’s Head cooler being worked on to fix light, not just bulb. The counter behind sink has been fixed. Thank you. Still working on counter under coffeemaker.
• Roberts Arena, 4095 SR 730, Wilmington. Feb. 16. Follow-up. The following violations have been corrected: 3.4, 4.5 and 6.4. Thank you. The 2-door “True” sliding door cooler has condensation along sliding door strip.
• High Horizon, 4095 SR 730, Wilmington. Pre-licensing. All information completed to open mobile unit. All equipment and menu listed on back of license. License issued. Ready to open.
• Cherrybend Pheasant Farm, 2326 Cherrybend Road, Wilmington. Feb. 15. Water sample for private water must be available. FSO has limited operation.
• Alma’s Amish Cheese Barn, SR 73, Wilmington. Feb. 12. Facility is currently closed. Sign on door states, “Closed for winter break, will re-open March 4, 2017.”
• Caesar’s Creek Donut, 7763 SR 73 W, Wilmington. Feb. 12. Everything looks good. No problems.
• Connie’s Country Market and Deli, 7763 SR 73 W, Wilmington. Feb. 12. Deli cooler is dripping condensation water from tray into bucket in the cooler.
• The Nut People, 7763 SR 73 W, Wilmington. Feb. 12. Booth currently closing Feb. 26, 2017. No problems/violations at this time.
• Caesar’s Creek Ice Cream, 7763 SR 73 W, Wilmington. Facility is no longer selling soft-serve ice cream, now serving hand-dipped.
Critical: The iced coffee was dated use by 1/3/17 and 1/13/17. The apple slicer was dirty and had food debris on cutters.
• Caesar’s Creek Main Kitchen, 7763 SR 73 W, Wilmington. Feb. 12. Critical: There were containers of chicken salad and bologna that were obtained from Connie’s Country Bakery that were date marked “August 22, 2017.” Manager stated those two items were purchased yesterday (Feb. 11).
Front of the prep cooler was dirty with food debris.
• Engine House Pizza, 134 Main St., New Vienna. Feb. 9. The lights are nonworking in the Coke cooler in the back room. The 3-compartment sink is leaking from the middle compartment. There are bricks coming out of the wall/chimney area? in dry storage area/above the freezer. There is paint peeling on walls of kitchen. Floor is coming apart in hallway to soda boxes.
• Clinton Memorial Hospital, 610 W. Main St., Wilmington. Feb. 8. Critical: Chicken noodle soup 45°F (reach-in cooler). Pumpkin pie slices at room temperature on displays. Food items (sauces, chicken, etc.) found past date marking in Traulsen reach-in cooler.
Walmart brand toaster used in cook area. Thermometer was missing in Hutco holding display cabinet. Metro holding hot cabinet as duct tape as repair on door. Warewash machine: Are you sanitizing by heat or sanitizer? Sanitizer solution was at 0 ppm. Light nonworking in fixtures above service line cook/holding area.
• Wendy’s, 50 Roberts Road, Wilmington. Feb. 8. Shredded cheese 48°F, air temp. 49°F; shredded cheese 44°F. Bacon missing time mark. Lettuce missing date mark. Floor tile damaged in front of fryers.
Follow-up: 2/17: Violations corrected: 3.4 and 6.4. Thanks for cooperation!