WILMINGTON — The following information is obtained from the Clinton County Health Department and is compiled from inspection reports.
Violations are either critical or non-critical. Critical violations are more likely to contribute to food contamination, illness or an environmental health hazard, including inadequate cooking of food items or poor personal hygiene.
For a more detailed description of critical and non-critical violations, or to file a public health or food safety complaint about a restaurant, contact the Clinton County Health Department by calling 937-382-7221.
The following restaurants or food service establishments were inspected recently and violations/comments include:
• Yamato Steak House, 1362 Rombach Ave., Wilmington, July 31. Standard/30-day inspection. Beverage found without lid at serving station. At arrival plates found on hibachi counter ledge and serving area with food contact surface up. Plates must be stored protected or inverted. Containers storing sugar, sale, sesame seeds, chili, crunch sauces, carrots, items in walk-in freezer, etc. missing labels. Bucket of ginger found on floor in sushi prep area. It was also blocking path to hand sink. Boxes of food on walk-in freezer floor. Buckets of food on floor in walk-in cooler. Buckets of bleach water were not labeled and stored on floor. Portioned meat found stored in food grade bags/containers. Container of crunch (fried flour) found stored next to mop sink. Toaster oven at sushi prep is rated residential and not NSF. Unit was in use at arrival, During inspection it was not at sushi prep area. It was found outside the facility. Do not hide things during inspection. Install proper rated equipment or gain approval to use equipment. Windex is used to clean sushi prep area. Food contact surfaces must be washed, rinsed and sanitized. Knives found stored on outside seam of food prep cooler (across wok). Food debris found on them. Boxes of disposable containers found on floor in utility room. Mop sink found with stuff stored in it (cleaning supplies, tools). Mop water is dumped in parking lot/rear of building. Sponges found stored in hand sinks. Ice build-up found on floor of walk-in freezer. Ice and debris found on walk-in freezer floor. Excess maintenance tools found in utility room (mop sink room). Curtain (drapery) found pinned to wall/entrance of utility room. Fryer, buckets, wood, old door, pans, etc. found outside rear of facility.
Critical: Raw chicken stored above vegetables in Pepsi reach-in cooler. Yum Yum sauce: 49°F ranch: (small Pepsi cooler); raw chicken 42°F (walk-in cooler). Sushi rice was not following HACCP procedures. Time marks unavailable on sushi rice. Sushi rice holding at 124°F. FSO must follow procedures to keep safe. Sushi prep employee was not knowledgeable with holding of sushi rice and/or sanitizing prep area.
Follow-up: Aug. 14.
Follow-up: Aug. 14.
• Chubby’s Pizza and Dairy Point, 604 N. Broadway, Blanchester, July 19. Food handlers were not wearing hair restraints. Verification demonstrating employees know when to report illness unavailable. Microwave is not commercial. Probe thermometer unavailable. Chlorine test strips unavailable. Door seal on Kenmore upright freezer is damaged. Air gap not visible at drain for soda fountain. Purse and keys observed on food shelf (ice cream area). Shelf used at tong and pizza spatula storage is in disrepair. Observed several flies in facility. Level 2 certification unavailable. Produce is being washed in colander at 3-sink. Food must be washed in prep sink. Utilize your prep sink.
Critical: Mayo 61°F, sliced tomato 53°F.
Follow-up: August 4.
• Eagles Lodge Hilda #1224, 141 E. Sugartree St., Wilmington, July 19. Follow-up #2. Violations corrected: 3.2, 4.8, 4.4, 5.1, 4.1, 6.4. the following needs correction: Level 2 food safety certification unavailable. Probe thermometer unavailable. Floor in mop sink room needs cleaning attention.
• Wendy’s, 50 Roberts Road, Wilmington, July 27. Employee making sandwiches had on bracelets with strings that dragged across prep table. Salad prep cooler air temperature was 48-49°F (all refrigeration equipment must be able to maintain food product at 41°F or below). The inside of the microwave was dirty. The inside ledge of the ice machine was dirty. The Coca-Cola soda machine in lobby leaking water onto the floor.
Critical: There was a large container of chopped lettuce in the walk-in cooler that was not date marked. The following temperature violations were found: Shredded cheddar 45°F, mango 44°F, bleu chesse 50°F all on salad prep cooler line; sliced cheese on sandwich prep line at 55°F.
Follow-up: Aug. 24.
• The Escape, 36 W. Sugartree St., Wilmington, July 27. Everything looks good.
• Wal-Mart, 2825 Progressive Way, Wilmington, July 27. There is no employee who is Class 2 food safety certified.the hand sink in the bakery is pulling away from wall (caulking missing). Bakery freezer has large accumulation of ice. Deli freezer has large accumulation of condensation. Seafood freezer has large accumulation of condensation. There is cove molding missing by bakery freezer door.
• Wilmington Nursing & Rehab Center, 75 Hale St., Wilmington, July 27. Facility still has no plumbing permit for mop sink.
Follow-up: Aug. 10.
• McDonald’s, 1272 Rombach Ave., Wilmington, July 26. Follow-up. All previous violations have been corrected. Thank you!
• Wendy’s, 1055 Rombach Ave., Wilmington, July 26. There were two employees who had hair in ponytails that hung lower than their shoulders. The walk-in freezer has large accumulation of ice on floor of freezer. Ice machine is leaking water onto the floor. There is black mildew on caulking around the hand sink. There is mildew on caulking around mop sink and cover molding on floor. There is mildew on caulking behind 3-compartment sink. Wall behind 3-compartment sink is dirty. Floor beside used cooking oil container dirty. There are gnats flying around by pop syrup containers. There are trash/boxes on ground outside by dumpsters.
Critical: The sliced cheese on the prep lines were not properly date/timed. In the walk-in cooler there was a container of sliced onions and several pans of bacon that were not dated.