Firefighters respond to grain bin fire


By Martin Graham - mgraham@aimmediamidwest.com



The fire was extinguished with moderate damage sustained to the rear corner of the dryer, according to reports. The bin that was being fed from the dryer was also checked and no fire hazards were found.


JEFFERSON TWP. — The Jefferson Township Fire Department received mutual aide while responding to a grain bin fire on Wednesday afternoon at 15753 State Route 729.

According to reports from the Silvercreek Township Fire Department in Jamestown, Jefferson Township Fire Department had one truck on the scene. Flames were present in a grain dryer and the Jefferson Township Fire Department put an “attack line” down and water was on the fire. In an attempt to extinguish the flames, crews dumped the back side of the dryer and gas to it was shut off. Crews were then put on top of it to open the hatches for access to the inside of the dryer to extinguish the blaze.

“Crews had to make sure that the gas was shut off to the dryer,” Silvercreek Township Fire Department Chief Steve Payton said. “This is always a very dangerous situation because the grain dust can be highly explosive in the areas of the bins. Luckily the rain was helping to keep the dust to a minimum. Crews also had to dump the grain from the burning side of the dryer and then climb to the top to access the burning grain that was still inside of the dryer.”

The fire was extinguished with moderate damage sustained to the rear corner of the dryer, according to reports. The bin that was being fed from the dryer was also checked and no fire hazards were found. Once the temperature of the grain and bin fell to normal, all units returned to service within just a couple of hours.

Jefferson Township Fire Department Chief Aaron Hauer said he was thankful for the assistance from Jamestown, the Cedarville Township Volunteer Fire Department and the New Jasper Fire Department.

“I am proud to be able to assist with Jeffersonville Fire Department,” Payton said. “Everyone works well together for the community.”

The fire was extinguished with moderate damage sustained to the rear corner of the dryer, according to reports. The bin that was being fed from the dryer was also checked and no fire hazards were found.
http://www.wnewsj.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/22/2017/11/web1_FB_IMG_1509653594331.jpgThe fire was extinguished with moderate damage sustained to the rear corner of the dryer, according to reports. The bin that was being fed from the dryer was also checked and no fire hazards were found.

By Martin Graham

mgraham@aimmediamidwest.com

Reach Martin Graham at (740) 313-0351 or on Twitter @MartiTheNewsGuy

Reach Martin Graham at (740) 313-0351 or on Twitter @MartiTheNewsGuy