WILMINGTON — The following information is obtained from the Clinton County Health Department and is compiled from inspection reports.
Violations are either critical or non-critical. Critical violations are more likely to contribute to food contamination, illness or an environmental health hazard, including inadequate cooking of food items or poor personal hygiene.
For a more detailed description of critical and non-critical violations, or to file a public health or food safety complaint about a restaurant, contact the Clinton County Health Department by calling 937-382-7221.
The following restaurants or food service establishments were inspected recently and violations/comments include:
• Gold Star Chili, 942 Cherry St., Blanchester, Dec. 29. Critical: Eggs (shell/raw) stored above deli meats in prep cooler. Raw sausage links stored above liquid egg. Roll of raw sausage stored in same pan as ready-to-eat bulk ham. Bucket of water found stored in hand sink. Prep table stored in front of hand sink #2. Pepsi drain lines are down in floor drain/missing air gap. Sprayer at 3-sink was found down in sink.
Hair restraints not worn by food handlers. Level 2 certification unavailable. Verification demonstrating employees know when to report illness unavailable. Spatulas found stored in container of water in-between uses. Burger seasoning, flour, etc. stored out of original packaging. Pan of onions in Continental cooler and pan of cheese in walk-in cooler were not co0vered. Box of cookies on floor in walk-in cooler. Handle missing cover/broken on under-counter freezer (fries). Microwave missing glass plate and hole on side. Cover over sausage links/bun compartment at steam table is broken/has rusty screws. Scotch tape is used as repair on counter at steam table. Door seal damaged on Continental cooler. Coating peeling on shelving in RockStar cooler. Black residues accumulated on inner guard of ice-making machine. Employee coats hanging on dry stock and bun shelf shelving. Benefiber stored above cheese grater. Cove trim damaged by trash/steam table/Continental cooler. Board damaged (not smooth/easy to clean) at mix machine. Lights nonworking: 1 in walk-in cooler, 3 in kitchen ceiling fixtures and vent hood. Wall outlet/light switch cover damaged next to cheese grater. Shelf units above 3-sink rusty. Spillage under soda fountain machine. Dust found on HVAC vent above bun storage. Dust found on ceiling and lights above warewash machine and ice-making machine. Box of light bulbs stored above cheese grater. Old equipment on storage shelf — needs cleaning and/or removal from premises.
Follow-up: Jan. 12.
• Subway, 2855 SR 73 South, Wilmington (outside of Walmart), Dec. 20. Critical: Several food items found past expiration date (bell peppers, jalapenos, soup, meatballs, salami, egg patties). Box of wrapped straws and bag of cup lids found stored next to open drains. Corrected.
Spray bottle missing label to identify contents. Light bulb nonworking in Norlake reach-in freezer. Protective peeling needs removed on side of Continental reach-in cooler. Container storing egg patties is damaged/cracked. Trash can with lid missing in women’s restroom. Door seal at exit door is damaged (does not allow door to seal). Cell phone charger on prep table. Used cigarette and coat on dry stock shelving. Corrected. Wet mop on floor near exit door. Verification demonstrating employees know when to report illness unavailable. Level 2 certification in food protection unavailable.
• Eagles Lodge #2222, 113 Wright St., Blanchester, Dec. 29. Critical: Hose is connected to faucet at mop utility sink and is laying in the sink. Backflow prevention device unavailable. Corrected. Fly strip hung above 3-sink. Corrected. Hands were not washed after handling raw shell eggs. Hands were not washed after returning to kitchen from the restroom.
Level 2 certification in food protection unavailable. Probe thermometer capable of measuring 0-220°F unavailable. Cloth is used for clean dish ice scoop storage and air dry station. Space observed under double exit doors in facility. Sticky residues on floor near can crusher.
• Angelina’s Pizza, 653 W. Main St., Blanchester, Dec. 27. Fire extinguisher missing inspection tag. Verification demonstrating employees know when to report illness unavailable. Yeast, oils missing name labels. Pineapple and eggs missing lids. Forks stored with handles in different directions.
Critical: Chicken wings, noodles, salads, sliced cheese missing date marks. Sprayer at sink hangs below flood level rim of sink.
• Continental Manor, 820 E. Center St., Blanchester, Dec. 27. Walls damaged over meal cart storage in kitchen. Caulking missing/damaged at 3-compartment sink and dish tables next to warewash machine.