Ruth Brindle and Darcy Reynolds, Co-Directors of Main Street Wilmington, spoke to the Wilmington Rotary Club — which meets at noon on Mondays at Damon’s — about Main Street of Wilmington.
They think of themselves as partners with the downtown-Main Street area businesses to promote and preserve the area.
Brindle and Reynolds stated The Ohio Main Street Program, administered by Heritage Ohio, works with communities across the state to revitalize their historic or traditional commercial areas. Based in historic preservation, the Main Street approach was developed by the National Trust for Historic Preservation to save historic commercial architecture and the fabric of American communities’ built environment, but has become a powerful economic development tool as well.
The Main Street historic district encompasses not only Main Street itself, but Locust Street from Swindler and Sons at Wood Street to Grant Street, and Sugartree Street from South Wood Street to Grant Street, at the Shoppes at the Old Mill.
The Mission of Main Street Wilmington is to promote historic preservation and economic development with the goal of maintaining a cultural downtown district that attracts entrepreneurs and retains businesses, serving as a vita hub for housing, shopping, dining and entertainment.
Main Street Wilmington’s goals for the coming year are:
• Improve community outreach and communication – they will have regular features on WALH about local businesses.
• Will partner with Wilmington College on several events.
• Downtown beautification – new in 2018 – “the green team”. The group will clean, water and weed the downtown area.
• Historic marker program – signage on downtown buildings. The signs will have the building name and year erected. Main Street Wilmington hopes to have fivebuildings marked.
• The Murphy 100 – celebration of the 100th birthday of the Murphy Theatre
• Third Friday parties
• Craft Beer Rally and Chili Cook-Off
• Wine Walk
• Art & Soul Festival
• Shop Small Saturday – the Saturday after Thanksgiving
• HoliDazzle Parade
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU