WILMINGTON — The following information is obtained from the Clinton County Health Department and is compiled from inspection reports.
Violations are either critical or non-critical. Critical violations are more likely to contribute to food contamination, illness or an environmental health hazard, including inadequate cooking of food items or poor personal hygiene.
For a more detailed description of critical and non-critical violations, or to file a public health or food safety complaint about a restaurant, contact the Clinton County Health Department by calling 937-382-7221.
The following restaurants or food service establishments were inspected recently and violations/comments include:
• Damon’s, 1045 Eastside Drive, Wilmington, Jan. 31. Critical: Raw beef found stored above chicken wings in walk-in cooler. Person in charge relocated and corrected. Sauces applied to cooked meats are stored next to raw chicken prep. Relocated and corrected. Sliced tomatoes, onions, etc. missing date labels. Sour cream 50°F (on ice), tartar sauce 44°F, cocktail sauce 44°F, cottage cheese 48°F (prep sauce cooler). Cold TCS foods must be maintained 41°F or less to prevent pathogen growth that could cause illness. Sour cream discarded. PIC to adjust cooler/contact maintenance. Food saver machine on site to vacuum-seal steaks and other meats. Must utilize approved commercial NSF-rated equipment. Air gap not visible at soda fountain equipment. Food equipment drain lines must be air gapped/indirectly drained to prevent contamination backing up into unit. Filter/water line for icemaking machine leaking (excess water on floor behind unit). Excess brooms/vacuum stored next to clean glasses at server area. Bug spray stored at bar. PIC relocated. Spray bottles and sprayer missing labels. PIC corrected.
Food items missing labels (sugar, french fry seasoning, etc.). Labeled and corrected. Poster above salad mix in prep cooler has lamination peeling. Wet cloth stored under sanitizer bucket. Corrected. NuWave hot plate equipment is residential rated. Food containers cracked/damaged. Shelf coating peeling/missing/rusting in Continental line prep cooler and bar glass coolers. Spoon handles melted, peeling. Cutting boards melted or stained. Warewash machine 0 ppm chlorine sanitizer. Warewash machine must be able to properly sanitize and be in good repair. PIC contacted Ecolab for repair. Sticker residues on food containers. Grease accumulated between fryers and on wheels. Dust on microwave ledge in kitchen prep area. Bar glasses stored on rusty shelving. Bottle beer bar cooler has spillage in unit and accumulations of shelving. Blender at bar has residues. Employee coat and phone stored on prep table and stored on food supplies. Employee relocated. Corner trim missing on FRP. Lights in vent hood nonworking. Ceiling tiles paint peeling in kitchen. Cabinet at server area and cabinet at bar have exposed pressboard. Black residues (mold-like) on ceiling next to warewash machine. Dust accumulated on fans in kitchen and bar.
Comments: Ansul fire safety tag identified automatic system out of order. System functional; being repaired.
Follow-up: Feb. 28.
• Uhl’s IGA, 444 E. Washington St., Sabina, Jan. 25. Critical: There were four containers of fat-free milk dated sell by Jan. 23. There were three containers of salted caramel milk dated sell by Jan. 23. Containers of cheese cubes in grab-n-go cooler were not dated and had some white mildew on cheese. The ready-to-eat subs in grab-n-go cooler were not dated.
Crockpot being used to serve soup in deli is not commercial-grade equipment. In the freezer section of the RFE there were 15-plus lights out in the reach-in freezer. In the produce cooler at the back of the store has water leaking in from the outside. The potato cutter in the deli is loose where microwave sits is missing front right door. Seal on the bottom of the door of meat cooler is broken. Front of the True 2-door cooler in the deli being used for storage has a lot of splash and debris on the front. Wall behind the 3-compartment sink in the deli and the potato cutter is dirty. Floor under 3-compatment sink in deli is dirty. Floor in the deli under prep tables is dirty. Floor in bakery under front work table is open and floor missing. Floor under 3-compartment sink in meat department is dirty/rusted/discolored.
Follow-up: Approx. Feb. 21.
• Hampton Inn & Suites, 201 Holiday Drive, Wilmington, Jan. 24. Critical: Time stamp missing on waffle batter. Cream cheese packs on ice packs, air temperature 60’s°F. Ice pack was not frozen cold. TCS foods must be maintained 41F or less to prevent pathogen growth. Caramel and blackberry sauce had expiration dates of Jan. 12 and Jan. 13.
Thermometer broken in Arctic Air cooler #2. Water observed in bottom of Arctic Air cooler. Light nonworking in Arctic Air cooler. Level 2 certification unavailable.
• McCoy’s Catering Service, 280 W. Curry Road, Wilmington, Jan. 24. Shelves in reach-in cooler rusted.
• #1 China Buffet, 1587 Rombach Ave., Wilmington, Jan. 31. 30-day/standard inspection. Fronts of coolers (2-door and prep coolers) had food debris on them. Prep sink — plumbing has been re-done. Plumbing now in floor instead of large drain along wall. Will contact plumbing inspector. Floor in front of True refrigerator had beef juice on floor. Seal on back door broken.
• Alkermes, 265 Olinger Circle, Wilmington, Jan. 31. Two-door cooler reading 36°F outside and thermometer inside reading 52°F. Foods inside are right at 41°F. Walk-in freezer has some ice/frost accumulation in corners at the ceiling.
• Snow Hill Country Club, 11093 SR 73, New Vienna, Jan. 31. No violations at this time. Facility is currently not serving daily. Will be back open daily March 1.
• American Showa, 3343 SR 28, Blanchester, Jan. 31. Door seal damaged in True 2-door reach-in cooler.
• Spillway Lodge, 623 Old State Road, Clarksville, Jan. 30. Hamilton Beach white microwave in the kitchen has paint peeling inside on front. True freezer has condensate around edge of door.
Critical: Inside edge of Scotsman ice maker is dirty.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU