Allison Brooks steamrolled a trio of opponents Saturday to win the first singles title at the Wilmington Invitational tennis tournament on the WHS courts.
Brook defeated Megan Eckley of Waynesville 6-0, 6-0 in the first singles championship match.
“No one really laid a glove on Allison,” said WHS coach Doug Cooper. She only lost a total of five games in three matches.”
Brooks is now 13-0 on the year.
In the team standings, Wilmington was runnerup to Anderson.
Mai Cooper finished as runnerup on the second singles court. Cooper won an 11-9 third-set tiebreaker in her semifinal match.
Sophie Reed and Summer Payne were second on the second doubles court. They won a 10-7 third-set tiebreaker in their semifinal match.
“That’s pressure tennis,” coach Cooper said of tiebreaker victories. “We practice tiebreakers, so our players are well prepared when they crop up in a match.”
Wilmington will face Chillicothe 4:30 p.m. in a South Central Ohio League match Tuesday at WHS. Both teams are 5-0 in league play.
Aug 29, 2015
@Wilmington High School courts
Anderson 37, Wilmington 31, Kings 30, Lebanon 24, Ross 18 Waynesville 18 Little Miami 14 Western Brown 13
• Allison Brooks def Lindsey Kaesemeyer (K) 8-1; def Ava Knoske (A) 6-2, 6-2; def Megan Eckley (Wa) 6-0, 6-0. Brooks finished first
• Mai Cooper def Becca Carroll (WB) 8-0; def Lindsay Leighton (K) 6-4, 0-6, 11-9; was def by MacKenzie Whitehead (A) 6-3, 6-0. Cooper finished second. Whitehead of Anderson finished first.
• Katie Schroeder was def by Haley Kossell (L) 8-6; def Carley Conner (Wa) 8-2; def Kacy Fox (WB) 8-1. Schroeder finished fifth. Barton of Anderson finished first.
• Kalista Adkins, Veronica Ilg were def by Moulas/Stump (A) 8-5; def Kelly/Papeti (Wa) 8-2; def Pierce/Taylor (WB) 8-2. Adkins and Ilg finished fifth. Anderson finished first.
• Sophie Reed, Summer Payne def Bradshaw/Mugliani (WB) 8-1; def Brake/Bucher (L) 3-6, 6-4, 10-7; were def by Hacker/Reckmah (K) 6-3, 6-0. Reed, Payne finished second. Kings finished first.
Reach Mark Huber at 937-556-5765, or on Twitter @wnjsports.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU