WILMINGTON – The Wilmington High School tennis team defeated Western Brown 4-1 Tuesday on the WHS courts in Southern Buckeye Athletic & Academic Conference action.
“It’s nice to be back to even in SBAAC play after a rough start,” WHS coach Doug Cooper said.
The Lady Hurricane is now 4-7 overall and 2-2 in the American Division. Western Brown is 6-4 overall, 1-3 in the league.
Allie Kees rallied at first singles for a 5-7, 6-1, 6-3 win.
“Allie had a nice win,” Cooper said. “She’s still learning how to compete at first singles. It’s a process and very difficult training ground on that top court.”
Cooper said the doubles team of Brooklyn Nielsen (consistent) and Emma Schroeder (confident) are playing well.
“We still have some pieces to put together but this team is committed,” said Cooper.
In reserve action, WHS was victorious 4-1. Kathryn Yurek won her first ever match for the Lady Hurricane.
Sept 5 2017
@Wilmington High School
Wilmington 4 Western Brown 1
– Allie Kees def Hanna Young 5-7, 6-1, 6-3
– Sophie Reed was def by Savanna Roaden 3-6, 6-2, 1-6
– Zane Bekheet def Taylor Lewis 6-0, 6-0
– Brooklyn Nielsen, Emma Schroeder def Brooklyn O’Hara, Becca Carroll 6-0, 6-1
– Rachel Barker, Kristina Walt def Siera Swisher, Hanna Bashear 6-1, 6-2
Wilmington 2 Western Brown 1
– Kathryn Yurek won 8-6
– Josie Nichols, Sophie Blessing defeated Jaylee Williams, Kylee Fox 6-3, 6-2
– Anne Osborne, Gracie Conger were defeated by Vamarra Wagoner, Madison Kirk 7-6, 2-6, 8-10
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU