Muskingum scored a goal in the 87th minute Tuesday and rallied to defeat Wilmington 4-3 in an Ohio Athletic Conference men’s soccer match at Townsend Field.

The loss puts the Quakers at 4-11-2 overall and 1-7 in the OAC. Muskingum also is 1-7 in the league and 4-13-1 overall.

Wilmington has now lost five straight matches and 10 of its last 11 following a 3-1-2 start to the season.

“This was another very disappointing loss because our kids played well in a lot of respects,” said Wilmington head coach Bud Lewis. “We had a very disastrous penalty kick called. It was a critical call at a critical time, but our team bounced back nicely. It’s a hard game some times, just cruel.”

The Quakers held a 26-14 advantage in shots but the Muskies were much more accurate. The visitors converted all three of their second half shots on goal.

Wilmington grabbed a 1-0 lead in the 23rd minute when Carl Bergstrom netted his fourth goal of the year. Anton Holmqvist and Niklas Martensson assisted on the goal.

The Muskies tied the match in the 39th minute and the two teams went to the break tied at 1-1.

Martensson put Wilmington on top in the 64th minute off a free kick from 29 yards out, with Daniel Kappelin being credited with an assist.

Muskingum then scored two goals in 30 seconds, the first at 70:41 by Trent Newby off a penalty kick and the second by Zach Schmauch at 71:21.

But the Quakers fought back with Bergstrom finding the back of the net for the second time in the match in the 75th minute. Martensson posted his second assist of the night on the goal that tied the match at 3-3.

“Niklas is the driving force for this team,” said Lewis. “He is a very talented player. It’s unfortunate it wasn’t enough today.”

Muskingum, however, would net a goal at 86:38 by Schmauch off a corner kick by Newby to record its first OAC win of the season.

Wilmington caps the season 7 p.m. Saturday, hosting Heidelberg in the final home games for two seniors, Nick Baker and Alec Rivers.

News Journal Report