WILMINGTON — Eight Wilmington High School students along with teacher and newspaper advisor Erin Moore attended the Ohio Scholastic Media Association (OSMA) Conference at Kent State University April 12-13.
The Hurricane Newspaper earned a second-place rating. Students include Sophia Agee, Matthew Butcher, Madison Close, Gabriela Garlo, Grayc Milligan, Naudea Mojica, Jack Murphy, Kaylie Reiley, Curtis Spray and Julia Tolliver.
Individual ratings were given (Superior, Excellent, Honorable Mention):
• Emma Schroeder earned an Excellent rating and Alana Walker earned an honorable mention in the Yearbook Sports Spread category and in the Yearbook Sports Photo category. Credit also goes to Meredith Robinson for editing their sports spreads.
• Matthew Butcher and Curtis Spray earned an honorable mention for the Feature Page Layout.
• Matthew Butcher won an honorable mention in the Alternative Copy category and also in the First-Person Narrative category. The judge said, “This look back to the year in music features seven crisp, concise reviews.”
• Madison Close earned an excellent in her News Feature about Papsy’s Place. She also earned honorable mentions in the Sports Feature category and Sports Page Layout.
• Gabriela Garlo received honorable mentions with her News Feature about the WHS college fair, Personality Profile story, and her Film Review.
• Jack Murphy earned an honorable mention for his General Feature story.
• Jack Murphy and Julia Tolliver both received honorable mentions for their work on the Facing Pages about JUULs in our first issue.
• Julia Tolliver also earned an honorable mention for her Personality Profile about Isaac Bray. She, along with Matt Butcher, also won an honorable mention for their Newswriting which had a “good variety of interviews” according to their judge.