WILMINGTON — The following information is obtained from the Clinton County Health Department and is compiled from inspection reports.
Violations are either critical or non-critical. Critical violations are more likely to contribute to food contamination, illness or an environmental health hazard, including inadequate cooking of food items or poor personal hygiene.
For a more detailed description of critical and non-critical violations, or to file a public health or food safety complaint about a restaurant, contact the Clinton County Health Department by calling 937-382-7221.
The following restaurants or food service establishments were inspected recently and violations/comments include:
• Speedway, 900 S. South St., Wilmington, April 30. Complaint received that facility has no water but still serving food, and port-a-potties in parking lot.
Facility has broken sewer pipe to sewer main. Facility is taking product to other Speedway, making sandwiches there and transporting back to store in “tote.” Neither facility is licensed as caterer, and tote is not transporting at proper temperature. Manager discarded all product except product that comes in prepackaged and pre-made. Soda fountain and slushie machines are only RFE equipment working. Employees have no way to wash hands. Manager started using hand sanitizer. Told them they must be able to wash hands, with soap and warm water. Continue with pre-packaged sandwiches and cleaning counters with multi-purpose cleaner and hand sanitizer per Environmental Health Director.
Follow-up: May 7.
• Duchess Shoppe, 2495 Rombach Ave., Wilmington, April 29. Critical: Verification demonstrating employees have been informed and are knowledgeable with illness reporting requirements is unavailable. Provided example and employees signed. Bag of chicken breasts and egg patties missing dates. Person in charge added and corrected. Spray bottle of cleaner stored next to package of tortillas. PIC relocated and corrected. Donut and muffins available for self-service missing ingredient/allergen info for customers. PIC placed some lists out for customers and will find all for customers’ reference.
Procedures for clean-up of vomit/diarrhea incidents unavailable. Employee beverage without lid stored next to hot dog roller. Box of plastic wrap blocking hand sink. Relocated and corrected. Flavor of cappuccino mix missing common name label. Corrected. Food handler was not wearing a hair restraint. Dirt and trash debris accumulated under soda bib rack. PIC cleaned. Light bulb nonworking in retail freezer door.
• CVS Pharmacy, 120 E. Main St., Wilmington, April 24. Critical: A verifiable manner was not available to demonstrate that employees have been informed about illness reporting requirements. Information sheet is available. Person in charge to have employees read and sign to correct.
Water temperature of hand sinks in restroom was not 100°F. PIC put in emergency maintenance request to repair. Trash debris observed on ground surrounding dumpster. PIC stated they are working to find a solution to prevent people from searching through dumpsters and creating a mess.
• CVS Pharmacy, 610 Cherry St., Blanchester, April 26. Shelving in milk retail reach-in cooler has rust accumulations and is dirty.
• Denver Elementary School, 291 Lorish Ave., Wilmington, April 29. Dust accumulated on ceiling and lights in kitchen. Paint is pealing on ceiling in kitchen (food prep). Floor is dirty in warewash area (under equipment and tables). Floor is stained/damaged/not easy to clean in warewash area (under equipment and tables). Dust and black residues on walk-in cooler ceiling and walls.
• East End School, 769 Rombach Ave., Wilmington, April 29. Shelving in walk-in cooler has debris accumulations. HVAC vents above service line have dust accumulations. Metal on corner of shelf has duct tape and cardboard and is in poor condition. Note: Shredded cheese found dated April 15; employee corrected, dating it April 25. Cheese was also at 48°F. Thirty salads were made prior to checking. recommend only removing TCS foods when needed and place in cooler during prep activities.