WILMINGTON — The Clinton County Solid Waste Management District recently held a Holiday Awards Ceremony Tuesday evening to honor the students who placed first in the 2019 Recycled Christmas Ornament Contest.
Students in kindergarten through fifth grade were asked to make tree ornaments out of recycled or recyclable materials and were encouraged to make their ornament at home with help from family members.
The students first submitted their ornament in their classroom contest where one winner was selected from each participating homeroom. The winning classroom ornaments were then judged by the Clinton County Commissioners to find the top 10 winners for the county. The classroom winners were awarded various recycled-content prizes.
As for the 10 county winners, on Tuesday those individuals — along with their families, teachers, principals and members of the community — gathered at the Clinton County Courthouse to be formally recognized. The group of about 75 observed as each county winner placed his/her winning ornament on the courthouse Christmas tree.
Clinton County Commissioner President Brenda Woods welcomed those in attendance as Solid Waste District Coordinator Jeff Walls explained the purpose of the contest and criteria for selecting the winning ornaments.
Commissioner Mike McCarty then announced the 10 winners and invited them to place their ornaments on the courthouse Christmas tree.
Commissioner Kerry Steed followed by presenting each winner with recycled content prizes, including the popular sling backpacks and various games – all made from recycled plastic.
The program concluded with guests enjoying some light refreshments of punch and cookies provided by the Solid Waste Management District.
Ornaments from both the classroom winners and county winners will remain on display on the courthouse Christmas tree throughout the holiday season.
The 10 county winners, their schools and grades, are:
• Alexis Baker, 2nd grade, Putman Elementary
• Noah Brister, 2nd grade, Wilmington Christian Academy
• Kendall Burton, Kindergarten, Wilmington Christian Academy
• Caelyn Cruea, 5th grade, Blanchester Intermediate School
• Camden Foster, Kindergarten, Clinton-Massie Elementary
• Case Greene, 1st grade, Wilmington Christian Academy
• Ava Lohrey, 3rd grade, Denver Place Elementary
• Max McCoy, 5th grade, East End Elementary
• Kennedy Renick, 5th grade, Blanchester Intermediate School
• Miley Stephens, 4th grade, Denver Place Elementary