WPD reports: Thefts and strange incidents

By John Hamilton - jhamilton@wnewsj.com

WILMINGTON — The following report is generated from incident reports provided by the Wilmington Police Department. All those arrested are presumed innocent until possibly found guilty in court. Charges may be dropped or changed in court.

Wilmington police recently processed the following reports:

• At 11:07 p.m. on Dec. 19, an employee at a Rombach Avenue store advised a tall white male in a blue coat and black sweatpants was in the store for over 40 minutes and was seen shoplifting items and taking off. The manager advised the male entered the store, and upon exiting was attempting to push out a full cart of general merchandise. They also stated the male appeared to be leaving with a full backpack. Upon review of the camera footage, police believe it to be a 26-year-old male. “(The suspect) exited the store with a bulkier appearance as if he had concealed items in his coat,” the report states. The officer advised the manager to get him the video, and a receipt of the items stolen.

• At 12:59 p.m. on Dec. 20, a 65-year-old Port William male reported his 40-caliber handgun was stolen. The incident location was listed as the 300 block of A Street in Wilmington. The caller advised he already made a report with the Clinton County Sheriff’s Office and that he believes it was stolen by two male subjects.

• At 9:05 p.m. on Dec. 16, a 35-year-old female reported her orange and gray Husqvarna leaf blower was stolen from her backyard shed at the 400 block of South Mulberry Street. She advised that if the suspect is located she would want to press charges.

• At 3:07 p.m. on Dec. 16, police received a report of a pair of Nike shoes being stolen at the high school on Richardson Place. An 18-year-old male is listed as the victim.

• Police received a report of theft at a North Lincoln Street residence at 12:05 p.m. on Dec. 18. The report does not list what items were stolen, but a 27-year-old male is listed as a suspect. Two residents — a 26-year-old male and a 50-year-old female — were listed as the victims.

• Police received a report of a cowboy hat being stolen from the 400 block of North Lincoln Street at 2:18 p.m. on Dec. 18. A 65-year-old female was listed as the victim.

• At 3:23 p.m. on Dec. 20, police received a report of a 45-year-old Leesburg female allegedly shoplifting at a Progress Way store. The report did not list what was stolen.

• At 11:27 a.m. on Dec. 21, a 36-year-old female, who the report noted as a “known drug user,” responded to the station to report of a “black market porn sting.” The female advised she knew two subjects were watching “black market porn” and she wanted it to stop. She advised she was also the “victim of sexual abuse through the mind.” She stated her “private areas” were being touched every time the two males typed on the computer. After asking the female what she meant by that, she stated, “she felt something touching her every time someone typed on the computer.” The female advised she was “not being physically touched but through the air and her mind.” She then began speaking about the time she was poisoned in 2006 but just found out about it now. After asking the female to further advise on the situations, she stated the medical profession was investigating all of it in a big case and she just wanted WPD to assist the medical board “with solving the porn crime and rat poison incident.” The reporting officer stated, “(the female) did not make any sense as she was talking with me and could not stay on topic. (The female) has made multiple reports like this in the past and doesn’t remember what she reported the next day.” The report also notes, the female appeared to be on some type of narcotic. The officer attempted to make sense of what the female was saying but was unable to understand as she kept changing topics. Most of the locations the female stated the occurrences happened were all in other states. The female requested to fill out a voluntary statement for her own records and to give to the “medical profession” investigating the topics she mentioned.

• At 2:37 p.m. on Dec. 20, police responded to the Clinton Memorial Hospital ER on a suspicious person report. Police made contact with a shirtless male, age 29, subject stating he had “snakes in his mouth and crawling all over him.” The male refused medical treatment and stated he would “walk it off.” The male left toward the bike path without issue. No further action was taken. Later at 7:07 a.m. on Dec. 21, the same male subject — still shirtless —was reportedly “causing problems” at a gas station on West Truesdell Street. The subject reportedly still had “snakes crawling on him” and wanted to seek medical treatment. Emergency services responded and transported the male to CMH without issue. At 8:40 p.m. on Dec. 22, police responded to the men’s drop-in shelter on East Main Street where the male was reported naked in the bathroom and wouldn’t come out. The male told police, now covering himself with a towel, “he was seeing animals and they were biting him” and that they were “inside his skin.” When asked, the male said he wished to seek treatment at CMH where was eventually transported to by emergency services.

• At 4:04 p.m. on Dec. 17, a 49-year-old female called and advised that a family friend had sent her, her mom, and her daughter Christmas gifts and the post office confirmed that they were delivered to her address — the 300 block of Grant Street. She advised that she checked her porch and the packages were not there. She advised someone had to have stolen them from her porch. She said last year her neighbor took something off her porch and she got it back, so she went and talked to them and they denied taking anything. After calling the gift sender, she advised the gifts were a wool dress, Ugg earmuffs and boots, and a suit jacket and pants.

• At 4:41 a.m. on Dec. 18, police responded to a business on Prairie Avenue and spoke with the manager about an employee issue he had on the floor during his shift. Authorities were advised that a 47-year-old male employee had an altercation with another employee — a 30-year-old male — during his shift and then began threatening to “whoop” him after the shift was over. The manager advised he had submitted paperwork to HR department to have the suspect terminated but they had quit prior to his shift ending. The business requested units to patrol the area during shift change and document the incident.


By John Hamilton