WILMINGTON — The following information is obtained from the Clinton County Health Department and is compiled from inspection reports.
Violations are either critical or non-critical. Critical violations are more likely to contribute to food contamination, illness or an environmental health hazard, including inadequate cooking of food items or poor personal hygiene.
For a more detailed description of critical and non-critical violations, or to file a public health or food safety complaint about a restaurant, contact the Clinton County Health Department by calling 937-382-7221.
The following restaurants or food service establishments were inspected recently and violations/comments include:
• Yamato Steak House, 1362 Rombach Ave., Wilmington, Dec. 27. Critical: Employee cutting cucumber at sushi area was not wearing gloves. Person in Charge instructed employee to wash hands and use gloves with ready-to-eat food. PIC stated it is difficult to slice cucumbers with gloves. Recommend more fitted gloves such as nitrite instead of the loose vinyl gloves. Bucket storing wiping cloths was missing label. PIC added label to bucket. Raid ant & roach spray found on shelf above bucket of sugar. PIC relocated and corrected. Record of pH monitoring of acidified white rice was not complete. Date of last record was Nov. 22, 2019. PIC to ensure pH is being recorded per HACCP. Green water observed on pavement outside the rear facility door. PIC indicated green cleaner used for floors and dirty water was dumped outside. Mop water and/or any waste water from facility must be disposed into proper drains. PIC stated mop sink will be used.
Boxes of fish stored on floor in walk-in freezer. Boxes of to-go containers stored on floor. Wiping cloths in soapy water. Wiping cloths in-between uses must be stored in sanitizer (bleach water). Unwrapped plastic forks stored in several directions in box in counter at server station. Shelves in Pepsi reach-in cooler have debris accumulations. Hand sink at sushi area is clogged (drains slow). Dust accumulated on fan in kitchen. Light bulbs in kitchen ceiling fixtures did not all work. Black residues on guard on ice-making machine.
Follow-up: Jan. 6.
• Yamato Steak House, 1362 Rombach Ave., Wilmington, Jan. 6. Follow-up. Previous violations corrected. Thank you for cooperation.
• Speedway, 393 S. Locust St., Wilmington, Dec. 27. Follow-up. Critical: Hot dogs and sausages 120°F (roller grill). Person in Charge discarded.
Sticker residues found in clean containers. Black residues in fresh topping equipment (sealant on edges starting to peel?). Hand sink is draining slow next to 3-sink. Floors in facility need cleaning, specifically under shelving, equipment and sinks. Splatters accumulated on ceiling in stock room. Walls have dust accumulations, specifically under vent hood, above prep surface, under shelving and on AC unit. Dust accumulated on fan covers in walk-in cooler. Trash accumulated on ground at rear of store and next to dumpster.
Follow-up: Jan. 24.
• Ron’s Place, 126 S. Broadway St., Blanchester, Dec. 31. Critical: Sausage gravy 43°F, potato salad 42°F, baked potato 42°F (3-door cooler). Person in Charge adjusted thermostat. Food items found expired: Potato salad Dec. 21; peppers Dec. 23. PIC discarded. Corrected.
Food handler was not wearing hair restraint. Microwave has black burnt spot inside unit. Microwave is not NSF or commercial rated. Plumbing at 3-sink is leaking. Freezer seal is damaged. Frost accumulated in freezer (near kitchen exit door). General repairs needed: floor, mop sink, soda bib area, outlet covers, cove trim, etc. General cleaning needed near fryers on floor; grease and food debris accumulation. Note: Fire extinguishers and Ansul system dated 2016.
• Skyline, 1005 E. Cherry St., Blancdhester, Dec. 31. Handwashing sign missing at hand sink in women’s restroom. Sugar and cinnamon sugar stored out of original packaging missing common name label. Corrected. Utensils near drive-thru stored in multiple directions; handle must be available for first contact to prevent contamination to food/mouth contact surface. Corrected. Food debris (cheese) accumulated in crack/space in concrete floor at walk-in cooler door area. (Is there trim or something missing?) Maintain clean.
• The Escape, 36 W. Sugartree St., Wilmington, Dec. 27. Verification demonstrating employees have been informed about illness reporting requirements unavailable.
• La Bamba of Clinton County, 961 S. South St., Wilmington, Dec. 27. Follow-up. Acoustic ceiling tiles in back kitchen/storage area (must be smooth/easy to clean).
• Wilmington Veterans Post, 140 E. Locust St., Wilmington, Dec. 27. Light bulb (1) nonworking in light fixture in stock room.