These are some highlights from the News Journal on April 23, 1973:
• ‘More bugging data seen; Dean may implicate Nixon aides’
“WASHINGTON (AP) — White House Counsel John W. Dean III, who has declared he will not be made a scapegoat for the Watergate affair, appears ready to implicate other presidential aides, says a source close to him.
“In another development, The Washington Post quotes sources today as saying President Nixon was told by members of his own staff last year that former Atty. Gen. John N. Mitchell and Dean probably were involved in both the wiretapping of Democratic party headquarters and a subsequent coverup.”
• ‘Concepcion, Reds rip Braves’
CINCINNATI (AP — Dave Concepcion upped his average to .402 after the Reds won their 10th of the last 13 games by a 6-3 score as the shortstop hit a home run and a double.
• It was Clean-up, Paint-up and Fix-up Week in the City of Wilmington. A photo showed Mrs. Hugh Bolton of 919 N. Lincoln St. “putting tree limbs and junk into a pickup truck to haul away to the dump.”
• The Young Mothers Club met including new President Mrs. Edward Gauche at the home of Mrs. Thomas Horney with co-hostess Mrs. Pearce Shivers. Other officers were Vice President Mrs. Charles Price, Secretary Mrs. Glenn McNeeley, Treasurer Mrs. Herschel Arnold and Reporter Mrs. Kenneth Gray.
• Obituaries included local residents Mrs. Eulila Ann Storer Harris, 42, of Wilmington; Mrs. Clara L. Bernard, 75, of Wilmington; Ray Mobley, 73, of Wilmington; and Guy Ray, 70, of Midland.
• Cuba Hi-Jackers 4-H Club met including Elaine Warren, Sherry Shively, Kathy Hill, Jean Haag, Pete Smith and Kevin Dallas. Dam City Wheelers 4-H Club met at the home of Kim and Lori Tolliver with Terry Stephens giving the 4-H Pledge.
• Playing at the Murphy Theatre were Burt Reynolds and Jon Voight in “Deliverance” while the Wilmington Drive-in Showed a triple feature of Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway in “Bonnie & Clyde”, Steve McQueen in “Bullitt” and Raquel Welch in “Flareup.”