Fayette County: 3 more COVID-19 deaths


The Record-Herald - and The Associated Press



On Thursday, Fayette County Public Health (FCPH) reported three more COVID-19 related deaths bringing the cumulative total to 16.

The community members who passed away included a female in her 80s, a male in his 60s and a male in his 80s. No further information on the community members is being released as FCPH asks that the families’ privacy be respected at this time.

Currently, there are 177 active cases within the county. Overall there has been a cumulative number of 665 cases with 472 having recovered. There are 195 individuals being monitored who came into contact with an infected person.

FCPH is currently investigating an outbreak of COVID-19 at a local long-term care facility.

The Ohio Department of Health (ODH) provides a dashboard with information pertaining to long-term care facilities, including case and mortality data and whether the facility allows visitation. The dashboard is available at the following website: www.coronavirus.ohio.gov/wps/portal/gov/covid-19/dashboards/long-term-care-facilities/cases.

According to the dashboard, the following data is currently available on facilities within Fayette County:

-Signature Healthcare of Fayette County has five current resident cases and two current staff cases.

-Carriage Court has had zero resident cases and one cumulative staff case. There are no current cases.

-Court House Manor has one current resident case. There have been six cumulative staff cases but none current.

-Four Seasons of Washington have had zero resident cases and one cumulative staff case. There are no current cases.

-Saint Catherine’s Manor has had 18 cumulative resident cases and four cumulative staff cases, none of which are current.

Please note that cumulative data from the dashboard has been recorded since April 15. Current case numbers are residents or staff who had active COVID-19 during the prior week (Wednesday through Tuesday). ODH updates the dashboard numbers each Wednesday as information is received from local health departments.

A day after his statewide address, Gov. Mike DeWine reiterated Thursday that he does not want to shut down Ohio amid a third coronavirus wave but will have to if residents do not obey mask orders and continue to congregate in large groups.

“This is within our control. We don’t have to let it get that bad,” the Republican governor said during his briefing. “We don’t have to let it get to the point where hospitals are full. We all have it in our power to prevent this.”

Experience has taught DeWine the economic and political pitfalls of a shutdown. Ohio saw skyrocketing unemployment in the spring, followed by mass protests at the Statehouse and a number of lawsuits attempting to limit the powers of DeWine and his health director Dr. Amy Acton, who eventually resigned after severe public scrutiny.

On Wednesday night, DeWine addressed the state following record-high numbers of COVID-19 cases in recent weeks. DeWine and Lt. Gov Jon Husted have repeatedly pleaded with Ohioans to take personal responsibility for the virus’ continuous spread throughout the state’s 88 counties by doing a better job wearing masks and avoiding large gatherings.

With concerns that approach isn’t working, DeWine warned he could go a step further by once again shutting down bars, restaurants and fitness centers — businesses that he and health officials have previously noted are not the source of major community spread.

Instead, officials have said, the spread is coming from private gatherings, including parties, weddings and funerals. DeWine reissued an order Wednesday limiting public and private gatherings to 10 people.

“What you do in your private lives affects everyone,” DeWine said.

DeWine also announced the state would take over monitoring businesses’ compliance with the statewide mask order. Agents with the state insurance fund for injured workers will oversee the inspections, rather than county health boards. Stephanie McCloud, the new Ohio Health Department director, was the administrator of the Bureau of Workers’ Compensation until last week.

Under the inspection order, all businesses must display signs requiring masks and are responsible for ensuring customers and employees wear them. One violation would result in a written warning and a second in closure of a store for up to 24 hours.

DeWine’s crackdown could be particularly felt in rural counties, where some businesses have not only ignored the statewide mask mandate, but also displayed no-masks-required signs. Republicans representing those areas in the Statehouse have signaled their constituents’ feelings about mask-wearing, with most refusing to wear facial coverings during floor sessions.

All but two of the 25 Ohio counties that have seen the most new cases per capita in the past two weeks are rural, according to data collected by the Johns Hopkins University Center for Systems Science and Engineering.

DeWine’s warnings angered the Ohio Restaurant Association, which said it disagreed with studies that used prediction modeling to conclude restaurants are a significant source of spread. The agency said another shutdown would devastate the industry.

The association noted that on Monday, Dr. Andrew Thomas, the chief clinical officer at Ohio State University and a top coronavirus adviser to DeWine, said that “a second stay-at-home order that would close businesses and manufacturing is not necessary at this moment.”

About seven in 10 Ohio voters approve of how DeWine has handled the coronavirus pandemic, according to AP VoteCast, a survey of more than 3,900 voters in the state. Only about a quarter disapprove.

Similar majorities of both Republicans and Democrats think DeWine has done a good job with the public health crisis, the survey showed.

The Record-Herald

and The Associated Press