Throwback Thursday: AFB open house


News Journal



Locals of all ages were welcomed to the open house at the Clinton County Air Force Base on Sept. 19, 1948. Can you tell us more? Share it at info@wnewsj.com. The photo is courtesy of the Clinton County Historical Society. Like this image? Reproduction copies of this photo are available by calling the History Center. For more info, visit www.clintoncountyhistory.org; follow them on Facebook @ClintonCountyHistory; or call 937-382-4684.

Locals of all ages were welcomed to the open house at the Clinton County Air Force Base on Sept. 19, 1948. Can you tell us more? Share it at info@wnewsj.com. The photo is courtesy of the Clinton County Historical Society. Like this image? Reproduction copies of this photo are available by calling the History Center. For more info, visit www.clintoncountyhistory.org; follow them on Facebook @ClintonCountyHistory; or call 937-382-4684.


These are some highlights from the News Journal on November 22, 1963:

National headlines

• ‘Three Shots Kill Kennedy’

“BULLETIN — DALLAS (AP) President John F. Kennedy died of bullet wounds at 1:20 p.m. Dallas time in Parkland Hospital. Presidential Press Secretary Pierre Salinger confirmed reports of the president’s death. The president lived 25 minutes after being shot. He was given transfusions in a vain effort to save his life. Assassin or assassins remained unknown at presstime.”

Locally

• The Women’s Republican Club met and retiring president Mrs. Emmett Bailey thanked her officers and welcomed incoming president Mrs. Ernest Dodd. Other officers and committee members installed were Mrs. Virgil Ferneau, Mrs. James Carey, Mrs. Richard Fulton, Mrs. Paul Riley, Mrs. Horace Richardson, Mrs. Virginia Weishear, Mrs. Anson Cook, Mrs. Howard Gebhart, Mrs. Donald Carnahan, Mrs. George Hiatt, Mrs. Gladys Enochs, Mrs. Robert Devoe, Mrs. Harry Bath, Mrs. Frank Thatcher, Mrs. Ulan Humphreys, Miss Ethel McCoy, Mrs. Herbert Poorman, Mrs. Francis Pickerell, Mrs. D.W. Henderson, Mrs. Franklin Nichols, Mrs. Morris Snider, Mrs. Roy Brown, Mrs. Harold Bashore, Mrs. N.S. Ireland, Mrs. Robert Bicker and Mrs. Charles Quinn.

• The Modern Mothers Club met at the residence of Mrs. Robert Henry Jr. with co-hostess Mrs. Frank Stackhouse. Also there were Mrs. Dwight Drummond, Mrs. Robert Berlin, Mrs. Jack Colvin, Mrs. Robert Curtis, Mrs. Harvey Flores Jr., Mrs. Oscar Hackney, Mrs. Theodore Potts, Mrs. Dean Waddle, Mrs. Herbert Zurface, Mrs. Robert Lyons and Mrs. Hubert Murphy.

• Martinsville Lodge No. 391 F&AM were to install offices including Hubert Morton, David Miars, Ivan Myers, William Hagemeyer, Hunter Pinney, Neil Felheim, Duane McCoppin, William Shrack, James Cleland, Shirley Osborne, Edgar Heeg and Donovan Brewer.

• In basketball, New Vienna Junior High, led by Bryan Terrell’s 13 points, won a thriller of a basketball game over Sabina, 37-36, as Sabina’s Ron Stauffer scored 14 points. Martinsville’s freshman team defeated Hillsboro 43-36 led by clutch baskets from Bill Peelle, Bob Schneder and Jim Walker. Clarksville’s junior high team, led by Bob Williams and Jim Burton, defeated Blanchester-Jefferson 34-30.

• Tickets at $2.50 per couple were on sale to listen and dance to “composer-arranger and pianist par-excellence” Claude Thornhill, His Piano And His Orchestra at Wilmington Junior High, sponsored by the WHS Band Club.

• Showing at the Murphy Theatre were Jack Lemmon and Shirley MacLaine in “Irma La Douce.”

Locals of all ages were welcomed to the open house at the Clinton County Air Force Base on Sept. 19, 1948. Can you tell us more? Share it at info@wnewsj.com. The photo is courtesy of the Clinton County Historical Society. Like this image? Reproduction copies of this photo are available by calling the History Center. For more info, visit www.clintoncountyhistory.org; follow them on Facebook @ClintonCountyHistory; or call 937-382-4684.
https://www.wnewsj.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/22/2020/11/web1_IMG_7436.jpgLocals of all ages were welcomed to the open house at the Clinton County Air Force Base on Sept. 19, 1948. Can you tell us more? Share it at info@wnewsj.com. The photo is courtesy of the Clinton County Historical Society. Like this image? Reproduction copies of this photo are available by calling the History Center. For more info, visit www.clintoncountyhistory.org; follow them on Facebook @ClintonCountyHistory; or call 937-382-4684.

News Journal