BLANCHESTER — A man has been indicted on a robbery charge after a September incident.
In the early morning hours of Wednesday, Sept. 2, 2020, a 26-year-old Lebanon man phoned the Blanchester police station to report that he was robbed earlier in the night inside a residence in the 300 block of S. Wright St.
Later that day, Sgt. Gary Mowen traveled to Lebanon to interview the victim, who told Sgt. Mowen that he was at that address with a friend when Maxwell Sill robbed him of a cell phone and attempted to extort money from him, according to a news release from Blanchester Police Chief Scott Reinbolt. the victim said he was able to get away by claiming that he had alerted police by electronic means, causing his assailant and others to flee the house.
“An investigation was opened and assigned to Sgt. Brian Noah. According to witnesses, several convicted criminals were present at the Jesse Jones residence at 313 S. Wright St. on the night of Tuesday, Sept. 1, 2020,” stated Reinbolt. “One of those present was Maxwell Sill, who had recently been released from prison. Sill has four prior felony convictions dating back to 2011. Sill believed that the Lebanon man had pilfered his federal stimulus check while he was in prison, and therefore attempted to get reimbursement from the Lebanon man by threats of force and extortion.
“The victim denies taking anything belonging to Sill. During the course of the investigation, Sgt. Noah learned that Sill had filmed a portion of the evening’s happenings and had posted it to social media.”
Reinbolt said that in December the case was presented to Clinton County Prosecuting Attorney Andrew McCoy, who approved the presentation of the case to a recent session of the Clinton County grand jury, which returned an indictment charging Sill with robbery.
He is currently in the county jail, being held in lieu of posting a $25,000 bond. He will answer the charge in the Clinton County Court of Common Pleas.