WILMINGTON — Officials are investigating a fire at a local business.
The Wilmington Fire Department was called to TimberTech AZEK on Prairie Lane at 6:21 p.m. Tuesday.
Wilmington Fire Lt. Rick Birt told the News Journal the fire broke out in an industrial dryer for wood pulp or flours. Since the dryers are connected by vents, small fires spread on light beams and pipes.
“(The fire) jumped to other pieces of machinery and the structure,” said Birt. “The machinery had severe damage and the structure had minor damage.”
One employee was reported injured and was transported to Clinton Memorial Hospital. Birt did not have the details as to the severity of the injuries.
Officials left the area at midnight. Birt said the business has an “expensive clean-up process” ahead of them.
Birt expressed gratitude to the departments from Blanchester, Chester Township, Port William-Liberty Township, and the Clinton-Warren Joint Fire District. Birt also thanked the Wilmington Police Department for their assistance and the Red Cross for providing food and drinks to the firefighters.
No official cause has been determined. The investigation will be carried out by Wilmington Fire Chief Andy Mason.
Reach John Hamilton at 937-382-2574