BREAKING NEWS: Shooting suspect turns himself in to WPD; facing felony felonious assault, reckless homicide charges


By Tom Barr - and John Hamilton - News Journal



Wilmington Police Chief Ron Cravens at a press conference held Monday afternoon.

Wilmington Police Chief Ron Cravens at a press conference held Monday afternoon.


Tom Barr | News Journal

WILMINGTON — The suspect in Saturday’s fatal shooting turned himself in without incident to Wilmington police at 7:45 p.m. Monday, city officials confirmed a few minutes later.

Yevin Medley, age 14, was placed under arrest on charges of alleged felonious assault (felony 2) and reckless homicide (felony 3) for his alleged role in Saturday’s deadly shooting.

“We are pleased Yevin chose to safely comply,” Police Chief Ron Cravens said.

He will be remanded to a secure juvenile detention facility pending his initial appearance in court. There was no word on whether a gun was recovered.

The Wilmington Police Department had identified Medley as the suspect on Saturday. He had been at-large ever since despite an extensive search that began Saturday.

The investigation is continuing.

On Saturday at 4:37 p.m. police responded to a call in the 400 block of Darbyshire Drive regarding a male who was the victim of a gunshot wound.

Caleb King, 20, died at Clinton Memorial Hospital from a single gunshot wound to the abdomen, police reported.

“The number one priority is the safe apprehension of Medley, and we are collaborating with agencies statewide to do so,” said Police Chief Ron Cravens at a news conference held Monday afternoon.

In addition to the WPD naming the 14-year-old suspect, the News Journal is naming the boy due to the severity of the incident and the subsequent charges.

King and Medley knew each other, police said.

Officials have had “limited contact” with King’s family, many of whom are in northern Ohio, said Cravens.

The firearm has not yet been recovered; Medley was to be considered “armed at this time” Cravens said during the news conference about four hours prior to him surrendering to police.

This is the city’s third homicide in the past five years, Cravens said.

Schools respond

Wilmington City Schools had sent out a communications Sunday evening which read in part: “The 14 year old suspect in connection with the incident is a Wilmington Middle School student. The investigation indicates that this incident is unrelated to school and law enforcement indicates that there is no pending threat to our schools.

“Wilmington City Schools will be in session on Monday, April 26th. To assist staff and students the Wilmington City School District’s Counseling Team and Administration will be on hand at our schools throughout the day.

“The Wilmington Police Department will have additional staff at WMS and WHS Monday. They will also increase the outside patrolling of our buildings. Additional district staff will be present in all buildings tomorrow as well to support staff and students.

“We appreciate the partnership with our local law enforcement and our community in coming together in these times of crisis. Our thoughts go out to the victim’s family and everyone impacted by this tragic event.”

Wilmington Police Chief Ron Cravens at a press conference held Monday afternoon.
https://www.wnewsj.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/22/2021/04/web1_DSC_0303-1.jpgWilmington Police Chief Ron Cravens at a press conference held Monday afternoon. Tom Barr | News Journal

By Tom Barr

and John Hamilton

News Journal