Upcoming public events in Clinton County include:
Thursday, Aug. 5
• Booklovers Blanchester area book discussion group meets at Fellowship Hall of Grace United Methodist Church, Wright and Center streets, 7 p.m., Thursday, Aug. 5 discussing “The Henna Artist” by Alka Joshi. Anyone interested in participating may call the library at (937) 783-3585 to get a copy of the book. New members are welcome. For more information, contact the Blanchester Public Library.
Saturday, Aug. 7
• Wilmington Public Library open house is 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 7 to display library renovations. Ribbon-cutting ceremony at 10 a.m. Refreshments will be served along with a basket raffle. Tickets will be drawn at 2 p.m. Winners need not be present. Presented by Friends of the Library.
• Kiwanis Spaghetti Lunch 11 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 7 at Faith Lutheran Church 421 E. Vine St., Wilmington; $8 for ages 12 & up; $5 ages 4-11; 3 & under free.
• Frog Leg or Chicken Strip Dinner, Wilmington American Legion Post 49; 6-7:30 p.m. (or until food is gone). Frog leg dinner $15 (with 3 frog legs); chicken strip dinner $12 (with 4 chicken strips); all include french fries, cole slaw and bread.
• Ice Cream Social at Cuba Friends Church at 5801 Cuba Road 4-7 p.m. Aug. 7; full menu featuring steak sandwiches, pulled pork sandwiches, potato salad, slaw and baked beans, with homemade ice cream and pies. Silent auction 4-6 p.m.
• Clean-Up Wilmington monthly volunteer event 9 a.m.-noon Saturday, Aug. 7near the Clinton County Fairgrounds. All supplies provided. Fairgrounds allowing volunteers access through property as well as restroom facilities day of clean-up; enter at the main gate on South Nelson Avenue.
• Clarksville Community Park grand opening 11 a.m.-2 p.m. at 1st and Main streets. Music from the Clinton-Massie Band and a ribbon-cutting plus Kona Ice (11 a.m.-noon), Cowan Lake raptor/animal encounter, food, door prizes, face painting, and games.
Saturday, Aug. 14
• Back-To-School Water Day 11 a.m.-1 p.m. at David Williams Memorial Park in Wilmington. Bring your swimsuit and celebrate back-to-school. The Wilmington Fire Department is creating a spray and splash area for kids and the Wilmington Police Department is handing out school supplies. Kona Ice will be there, too.
Friday, Aug. 27
• The Avalons free outdoor concert, 7 p.m. on Sugartree St. in downtown Wilmington as the Rock the Block Summer Concert Series continues. The Dayton group presents rock-and-roll oldies. Plus food and drinks and more downtown.
Saturday, Aug. 28
• Post 49 Smokin’ BBQ Cook-Off at American Legion Post 49, Wilmington, 6-8 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 28. Chef’s choice on what to smoke. Legion will give each person participating in smoke-off $25 toward purchase of their choice of meat; cooking must be done on Post 49 property. Entry fee $25/person. Entertainment is the band Queen City Alibi. Prize money determined by number of entries.
Friday, Sept. 17
• Laine Hardy free outdoor concert, 7 p.m. on Main St. (note this location) in downtown Wilmington; part of the Wilmington College 150th Celebration.