WILMINGTON — A new home-written, home-produced and home-performed event hit a home run over the weekend as “Home for the Holidays” made its debut at the Murphy Theatre.
Under the direction of Diane Murphy and based on her concept — with script by Dean Feldmeyer and musical direction by pianist Liz McAllister — “Home for the Holidays” was a departure from the Murphy’s traditional Christmas shows but with many of the same long-time favorites.
“Home for the Holidays” — presented Friday, Saturday and Sunday — shared the musical story of an elderly German couple welcoming their many relatives and neighbors on a cold Christmas Eve.
Over 20 songs were featured — from the traditional including “O Holy Night”, “Away in a Manger”, “Silent Night” and “Oh Come All Ye Faithful” to the whimsical including “I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus”, “I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas” and “Hot Chocolate.”
The choreographer was Ami Filip with lighting by Dave Stewart, sound by Joe Spicer and John Hutton, set by Dan Stewart, stage manager Tara Short, and wardrobe by Julie Butcher, Amanda Martin and Diane Murphy.
The cast included:
• “Grandpa” Dow Tippett and “Grandma” Veronica Campbell with family members and neighbors: Abby Short, Stella Short, Breeze Hoggatt, Briley Hoggatt, Brooklynn Hoggatt, Saleena Price, Lily Meeker, Allison Pugh, Jordan Pugh, Hailey Pugh, Justin Delawder, Sandy Delawder, Brystil Ruddle, Jillian Zeigler, Kara Ellis, Kolton Ellis, Margret Cook, Alice Spann, Seven Spann, Steven Spann, Makayla Thomason, Sheryl Thomason, Layna Tippett, Sigrid Solomon, Kallaje Carter, Brittany Barnett, Randy Zimmerman, J. Dustin Williams, Amanda Martin, Michelle Lowery, Mackenzie Reed, Natalie Stickle and Cindy Camp.
• The Wilmingtones from Wilmington High School — Alex Vail, Aubre Weller, Brynn Tippett, Layna Tippett, Carlie McCoy, Chandrie Sharma, Dalan Toups, Devon Snyder, Elizabeth Guard, Emily Vizcaya, Jenna Allemang, Joycelyn Edens, Noah Geggie, Riley Ibaugh and Tanner Vance.
• The Falconettes from Clinton-Massie High School — Hailey Hubbard, Breckin Harner, Sam Bowman, Hayley Potter, Lynnea Dean, Sydney Schneder, Elle Dunham, Sydney Hudson and Landree Stump.
• The AstroNotes from East Clinton High School — Brooklynn Hamilton, Paige Fetters, Regan Walker, Cora Helsel, Austin Hodson, Preston Pauley, Nathan Dunn, Lex Frye and Cadence Howard.
• Fancy Free Cloggers — Evie Poe, J. Dustin Williams, Robert Johnson, Sabrena Johnson, Myla Olds-Stewart, Madison Marshall, Kimberly Newberry, Kayla Newberry, Emily McKenzie, Rose Marie Scott, Molly Fields, Sheila Jo Spencer and Beth Olds.
For more information on the Murphy Theatre’s membership drive and perks, and information on the event-packed 2022 season, visit www.themurphytheatre.org or call 937-382-3643.