WILMINGTON — The following information is obtained from the Clinton County Health Department and is compiled from inspection reports.
Violations are either critical or non-critical. Critical violations are more likely to contribute to food contamination, illness or an environmental health hazard, including inadequate cooking of food items or poor personal hygiene.
For a more detailed description of critical and non-critical violations, or to file a public health or food safety complaint about a restaurant, contact the Clinton County Health Department by calling 937-382-7221.
The following restaurants or food service establishments were inspected recently and violations/comments include:
• #1 China Buffet, 1587 Rombach Ave., Wilmington, Jan. 18. Critical: Knowledgeable PIC was not available at FSO. Owners were out of town for family emergency. Raw meat stored above vegetables in prep cooler across wok. Raw fish stored above sweet sour chicken in reach-in cooler. Scoops handles submerged in flour, corn starch, etc. Boxes of raw chicken on floor in walk-in cooler. Cheese 56°F, thermometer 60°F. Teriyaki chicken 86°F and 100°F (cooling on trays next to oven). Sour cream on salad bar was thick and did not appear normal, In my opinion it had an odor. It was at 41°F. Texas chicken 83°F, sweet sour chicken 102°F (hot buffet bar). Several products missing date marking labels (General Tso chicken, noodles, tofu etc.). Batter mix dated 1/13/17? Used chicken dry batter mix on shelf. How long since last used? Mix appeared it needed discarded and/or refrigerated after use. Walk-in cooler is non-functional, Heavy ice of walk-in freezer.
Zero PPM measured in warewash machine. Sushi prep cooler and microwave require general cleaning. Scour scrub pads found in both hand sinks. Exit door of kitchen needs to be sealed. Vent hood had grease accumulating. Light nonworking above bulk dry ingredient storage. Drain covers missing on floor drains.
Critical: PIC unable to explain sushi prep pH and probe unavailable. Log unavailable, HACCP plan for ocified white rice unavailable.
Follow-up inspection: Jan. 23.
• #1 China Buffet, 1587 Rombach Ave., Wilmington, Jan. 23. Follow-up inspection. Violations corrected. DeWalt drill observed in kitchen with mixing blade. Vent hoods have grease accumulations. Light nonworking in hall ceiling near warewash and storage room. Drain covers missing on floor drains, Wall damaged and cove trim missing at server station. Self-closer mechanism missing on door of restroom. Egg roll 46°F, shrimp 44°F, fish 44°F (walk-in cooler).
• Jen’s Deli, 28 W. Main St., Wilmington, Jan. 19. Critical: Several cartons of eggs in refrigerator in the basement (brown eggs) that are being obtained from local farms that are not labeled. the hummus and tomato soup in the sliding door cooler were both at 43°F. Thermometer reading 50°F (walk-in cooler). Raw chicken 44°F (prep table).
There were containers of sauerkraut, cranberries, soup, hummus, curry chicken in the “Universal Cooler.” that were not labeled or dated. The light in the Boar’s Head cooler is not working properly. There is duct tape hanging from ceiling over mop sink. the counter top molding behind the hand sink in coffee bar is “bubbling up.”
• Gold Star Chili, 1295 Rombach Ave., Wilmington, Jan. 23. Unwrapped forks were displayed in mixed directions at drive-thru. Wet mop found stored on floor.
• Burger King, 1607 Rombach Ave., Wilmington, Jan. 23. Standard/Follow-up inspection. Violations corrected: 4.4, 5.1, 6.4. Chili sauce date label prints 10 days. PIC was not able to display cycles of heat treatment freezer. However, logs were available.
• Roberts Arena, 4095 SR 720, Wilmington, Jan. 18. Critical: There were lettuce salads and fruit salads in the walk-in cooler that were not date marked of labeled. There was a container of cole slaw that was date marked for more than 7 days.
The 2-door True sliding door cooler has condensation pooling in bottom and along sliding door strip. the automatic ice machine has some mildew/mold growth along the inside edge of the machine. The old vent that was removed to run the soda lines through is unfinished.
• Kroger, 1001 Cherry St., Blanchester, Jan. 18. Standard/Complaint. Received complaint that two people ate broasted chicken on Sunday evening (1/15/17) and became ill early the next morning. Person said that heating unit in the bakery “not working.” Temperatures were fine. Glass in hot case shattered. Plexiglass in place to keep foods hot until new glass arrives.
Floor in seafood dept. has cracked area behind case.
• Eagles Lodge, 113 Wright St., Blanchester, Jan. 18. No violations at this time. Thank you!
• Angilo’s Pizza, 142 S. Broadway St., Blanchester. Jan. 18. Using prep sink to wash dishes. Employee observed washing glasses in 1 compartment of prep sink, Asked if they were clean, PIC stated yes need to air dry. Vent hood over deep fryers had dust/dirt on plates and under drip tray.
• The Grand Magnolia Manor, 421 S. South St., Wilmington, Jan. 17. No violations.
• Cape May Retirement Village, 175 Cape May Drive, Wilmington, Jan. 18. Cornbread was missing label in storage container. Air gap was not visible at drain for steamer/cooking equipment. Lighting was low/flickering in servery. Dust observed on HVAC ceiling vents. Server area was remodeled without review of plans by Health Dept. prior to construction. Critical: Tuna salad 43°F, chicken salad 47°F; thermometer 60°F. Second temperature check 40°F thermometer.
• Cape May Retirement Village 3, 175 Cape May Drive, Wilmington, Jan. 18. Hot dog date label was inaccurate. Self-closer on restroom door missing.
• East Clinton Middle School, 174 Larrick Road, Sabina, Jan. 17. Complaint. Received complaint regarding kitchen employees not wearing hairnets. Arrived at the facility 11:55 a.m. Employees had just finished serving. All employees were wearing hairnets. Thank you.
• Elks Lodge #797, 2541 SR 22 E, Wilmington, Jan. 17. No violations.
• Clinton County Head Start, 789 N. Nelson Ave., Wilmington, Jan. 17. Paper products stored on floor in dry storage area.
• Cpl. James F. Smithson VFW 6710, 1130 N. Lincoln St., Wilmington, Jan. 17. There is some black mildew/mold growth on the wall behind the condenser unit. The wall beside doorway to walk-in broken plaster.
• Stephanie’s, 142 Main St., New Vienna, Jan. 13. Cole slaw, country gravy, baked beans found expired in reach-in cooler.