CLINTON COUNTY — Eighteen high school seniors have been nominated for the 2016 Wilmington News Journal Clinton County Scholar-Athlete Award. The winner will be announced June 15 at the Expo Center at the Clinton County Fairgrounds.
In addition, the 2017 class of the Clinton County Sports Hall of Fame will be inducted that night.
The newest members of the Hall of Fame will be David Allen, Bruce Boggs, Roger Roberts, Joni Streber and Rodney “Butch” Whitaker.
Registration begins at 5 p.m. the day of the event, with dinner and award presentations to follow.
Reservations are required and should be made in advance. If paid in advance, the cost is $20. If paid at the door, the cost is $25.
Reservations are due Friday, June 8. To make reservations, visit the News Journal at 761 S. Nelson Ave. in Wilmington or call 937-382-2574. Payments should be made in cash or checks. All checks should be made payable to the Clinton County Sports Hall of Fame.
The Clinton County Sports Hall of Fame website is http://clintoncountysportshalloffame.weebly.com/.
The winner of the Scholar-Athlete award will receive a $500 award.
To be eligible for the $500 award, student-athletes must be a senior; must participate in at least two varsity sports during their senior year OR earn four varsity letters in a single sport during their high school career; must be involved in community, school and/or church activities that reflect a sense of loyalty and citizenship; and must have a cumulative grade point average of 3.25 or higher.
A panel organized by the News Journal judged each nominee based solely on the nomination form.
Previous winners of the scholar-athlete award are Travis Jackson and Jordanne Finley in 2012; Colt Briggs in 2013; Bayle Wolf and Logan Frederick in 2014; and Ian Henson and Allison White in 2015; and Alex Miller and Miquela Santoro in 2016.
The scholar-athlete nominees, and their nominating coaches, are:
Wilmington High School
• Hunter Toller, nominating coach Glen Blessing.
• Nic Hayward, nominating coach Ashley Howard.
• Alison Dooley, nominating coach Mitch Hopf.
• Savannah Morgan, nominating coach Kerry Lewis.
• Veronica Ilg, nominating coach Doug Cooper.
• Sydney Ilg, nominating coach Roger Ilg.
• Gage Smith, nominating coach Scott Killen.
Clinton-Massie High School
• Aric France, nominating coach Shonda Marburger.
• Gracie Storm, nominating coach Kacie Jenkins.
• Jocelyn Burton, nominating coach Stephanie Reveal.
• Angela Miller, nominating coach Tim McGraw.
• Cole Isaacs, nominating coach Lynn Deatherage.
• Chris Demler, nominating coach Todd Cook.
Blanchester High School
• Emma Gundler, nominating coach Kurt Ballinger.
• Jared Monhollen, nominating coach Aaron Lawson.
• Hunter Collier, nominating coach Brandon Sammons.
East Clinton High School
• Anthony Osburn, nominating coach Jeremy Yankey.
• Thomas Wright, nominating coach Steven Sodini.
Mark Huber may be reached at 937-556-5765, or on Twitter @wnjsports.