WILMINGTON — The following information is obtained from the Clinton County Health Department and is compiled from inspection reports.
Violations are either critical or non-critical. Critical violations are more likely to contribute to food contamination, illness or an environmental health hazard, including inadequate cooking of food items or poor personal hygiene.
For a more detailed description of critical and non-critical violations, or to file a public health or food safety complaint about a restaurant, contact the Clinton County Health Department by calling 937-382-7221.
The following restaurants or food service establishments were inspected recently and violations/comments include:
• Gold Star Chili, 942 Cherry St., Blanchester, Sept. 22. No verification that anyone at this facility is Class II food safety certified. Cabinet by hand sink coming apart. Countertop in front of hot bar is coming apart. Prep sink in back was leaking water into bucket. (2nd Notice.) Employee beverage by hand sink with no lid. Employee food on shelf with clean dishes.
Critical: Person in charge unable to tell me what temperature to reheat foods, cool foods and the time you have to cool foods. (2nd Notice.) Sausage gravy in the walk-in cooler was 74°F after being in cooler/taken off line at 10 a.m. (now 2 p.m.). Sliced American cheese on prep cooler was 45°F in middle of stack. On the prep cooler by the steam table, chicken chunks were 51°F and sour cream was 45°F. (2nd Notice.) Onion chopper on top shelf of clean items, had food debris. (2nd Notice.) Hand sink by front line has no hot water.
Follow-up: Oct. 24.
• Speedway, 393 S. Locust St., Wilmington, Sept. 22. Towels under pop lines under slushie machine. Prep freezer in kitchen has large ice accumulation build-up, which is not allowing doors to close properly. Side and front of donut display container is broken. Dirt/debris around outside seal of cherry and Coke slushie flavors. Gnats flying around tea dispensers. Trash on the floor of walk-in cooler. Please contact licensed pest control operator. Trash on floor under shelving/between shelving in kitchen area. Floors throughout facility are dirty?/stained. Some cracked floor tiles in front of register.
Follow-up: Oct. 25.
• Wilmington Middle School, 275 Thorne Ave., Wilmington, Sept. 21. Critical: Following temperature violations were found: Black olives 57°F, jalapenos 55°F, sliced American cheese 55°F in middle of package, Country Crock spread 54°F, sour cream 45°F in middle of large container, eggs 48°F. All of these items were stored in the walk-in cooler of the middle school. Walk-in cooler temperature was 59°F on the inside and 55°F on outside. In the Glencoe reach-in cooler the sliced cheese was at 45°F and buffalo dressing was at 51°F.
Condenser line was leaking water in dry storage area. Condenser line was frozen in dry storage area. Floor of walk-in cooler is rusted by door and around the walls. Door to the walk-in cooler is catching on the floor and not self-closing. All food was removed from walk-in cooler. Food that was out of temperature (above 41°F) was discarded. All other food was transferred. Facility must call for inspection of walk-in cooler prior to restocking with food.
• Wilmington Middle School, 275 Thorne Ave., Wilmington, Sept. 26. Walk-in cooler holding temperature at 38°F. Bottom of cooler painted. Ready to put food back in. Thank you!
• Curtis Concessions #1, Clinton County Fairgrounds, Sept. 23. Facility has sanitizer, test strips, hats and gloves available. Everything looks good!
• Blanchester Theatre, 115 E. Main St., Blanchester, Sept. 22. Everything looks good. Thank you!
• United Dairy Farmers, 211 W. Main St., Blanchester, Sept. 22. A lot of ice accumulation on the ceiling and floor of walk-in freezer. The reach-in UDF Market Cooler, temperature on the thermometers were 46°F and 48V. Several gnats flying around the mop sink and the customer eating area. Please contact pest control operator.
• New China Dragon, 103 E. Main St., Blanchester, Sept. 22. Follow-up. All previous violations have been corrected. Thank you!
• American Showa Micromart Market, 3343 SR 28, Blanchester, Sept. 22. Everything looks good.
• Roberts Arena, 4095 SR 730, Wilmington, Sept. 28. Nonworking light in the reach-in Coca-Cola cooler.
• Clinton County Head Start, 789 N. Nelson Ave., Wilmington, Sept. 22. Follow-up. Ceiling over prep counter missing, exposed wood and insulation exposed and wiring exposed. Dish washer was run 4 times. Rinse temperature started at 175°F and dropped during rinse cycle to 165°F.
Follow-up: Sept. 29.