Dow Tippett, “The Barefoot Speaker”, spoke to the Wilmington Rotary Club which meets at noon at Damon’s Restaurant on Mondays.
President Dan Evers stated that Tippett brings leadership to life and life to leadership with his unique ability to communicate deep truths in conversational, easy-to-understand language and practical tools.
Tippett began his talk by stating, “Everything is great right now and nobody’s happy.”
He then spoke about “Fixing Relationships” – all relationships whether they are social, work or marital — using the :
1. Vulnerability — being vulnerable physically makes us stronger.
2. Awareness — the frequency and the depth with which we pursue awareness is the depth to which intimacy will occur.
3. Safety — creating a feeling of safety and well-being allows for relationship to strengthen.
4. Honesty — the level of safety we experience in any relationship is directly proportional to the level of honesty in that relationship. Sometimes honesty hurts, but it is still good.
5. Forgiveness — If we desire great relationships and great teams, we must be able to forgive and ask for forgiveness.
6. Integrity — integrity is being the same person all the time.
7. Submission – “Submission is the one choice in life that allows all men everywhere to live at peace.” Submission is the choice that under girds all the other six choices. Submission is putting my desires, will, dreams, and passions under the authority of another.