WILMINGTON — The following information is obtained from the Clinton County Health Department and is compiled from inspection reports.
Violations are either critical or non-critical. Critical violations are more likely to contribute to food contamination, illness or an environmental health hazard, including inadequate cooking of food items or poor personal hygiene.
For a more detailed description of critical and non-critical violations, or to file a public health or food safety complaint about a restaurant, contact the Clinton County Health Department by calling 937-382-7221.
The following restaurants or food service establishments were inspected recently and violations/comments include:
• MacD’s Pub, 1400 W. Locust St., Wilmington, Aug. 14. Critical: The following items were not labeled or dated: Walk-in cooler — spaghetti, ham, potato salad, hamburgers and ribs; in reach-in prep cooler — sauerkraut, cheese, mushroom and onions; in salad reach-in — lettuce, sauces and cheese. There was a container of red sauce in the walk-in cooler that was dated July 19 (prepped). There was a container of parmesan cheese sitting on shelf that stated “Refrigerate after opening.” The following temperature violations were found in the salad cooler: Tomatoes 47°F, banana peppers 50°F, chicken salad 47°F and shredded cheese 55°F.
There is no thermometer in the rear bar cooler. There is build-up of ice on the condenser unit of the walk-in freezer. Salad cooler in kitchen had internal temperature of 50°F. Inside of both microwaves in the kitchen were dirty. On the inside of the door of the 2-door reach-in cooler, there was black mildew all over the top area. Vent hood above the grill was dirty. There is mildew around the door seal of the Kenmore refrigerator. There were towels lying on the counters throughout the facility. There was a towel stored under the cheese slices in prep cooler. There is broken floor tile in the kitchen. Gnats flying around in the kitchen. Ceiling in the dry storage area has come broken covering. At the servers station the tile/concrete is not smooth and easily cleanable.
Follow-up: Approx. Sept. 13.
• Skyline, 2799 Rombach Ave., Wilmington, Aug. 14. All employees have hair pulled up in ponytails. No hats or hairnets on any employees. Two employees have long ponytails. There was a cup with water sitting on top of ice machine. There was a spoon down in the sprinkles and a cup being used as a scoop down in the sugar. Arctic Air freezer has ice build-up along the seal and ceiling of unit. Counter by tea dispenser is dirty. Caulking behind spray-off sink is dirty and has black mildew growth.
Critical: Employee was bagging cheese with no gloves on customer eating counter. Employee was using bag to grab cheese. There was pink debris on the milk shake machine.
Follow-up: Approx. Sept. 14.
• Colonel James H. Smithson VFW, 1130 N. Lincoln St., Wilmington. Aug. 10. Sugar container missing label. Carton of eggs stored above beverages in walk-in cooler. Bologna, etc. found expired.
• Arby’s, 1619 Rombach Ave., Wilmington, Aug. 10. Complaint. Complaint received that employees not wearing gloves, touching nose, face, money and food. Investigated complaint, spoke with person in charge about concerns. At time of visit observed proper glove use. Discussed handwashing and glove usage practices.
• Roberts Arena, 4095 SR 730, Wilmington, Aug. 8. Food handler hair was not restrained. Verification demonstrating employees know when to report illness is unavailable. Powdered sugar shaker, salt/pepper blend, spray bottle (water?) missing labels. Sandwich prep cooler is leaking water onto floor. Exterior panel on walk-in freezer is bent/damaged.
Critical: Pizza slice 125°F (holding cabinet). Shred cheese (July 12), blue cheese (July 12), diced tomatoes, pasta salad, chicken salad, etc. found expired or missing date marks.
• Wilmington College Dining Hall, Pyle Center 1272, Wilmington, Aug. 22. Critical: Yogurt on the salad bar was 49°F and the shredded cheese on the prep cooler was at 46°F (must be kept cold at 41°F or below). French vanilla creamer, Half & Half, soy milk and iced coffee — none of these items were dated. Found food debris on stacks of clean dishes.
Walls/ceiling in the dish room were dirty and had debris/dirt build-up on the top of the wall.
Follow-up: Approx. Sept. 19.
• Wilmington College Sandella’s Flatbread, 258 College St., Wilmington, Aug. 22. Everything looks good. No violations at this time. Thank you!
• Caesar Creek BP, 7126 SR 73 W, Wilmington, Aug. 15. Follow-up. Six previous violations corrected. The following need improvement: Ice dispenser on soda fountain machine has black residues. Mouse droppings in cabinet below cappuccino machine. Debris along floor near windows on sales floor.
• J&S Petro III, 7111 SR 73 W, Wilmington, Aug. 15. Follow-up. Six previous violations corrected. the following need correction: Trash observed on ground near dumpster/surrounding store. Wall/cove trim damaged near entry into walk-in cooler.