WILMINGTON — One of Main Street Wilmington’s goals is to raise awareness of local history and the beautiful architecture of our historic downtown.
In appreciation of the character of Wilmington’s downtown, historical markers have just been installed on five businesses. This initial group includes:
• Samuel F. Walker Building – 1914
• Murphy Theatre — 1918
• General Denver — 1928
• Wilmington Friends Meetinghouse — 1896
• Fife and Bosworth Building — 1872
The markers are made of recycled resin material coated in a metal finish for look and durability. Joe Bath of JKay Construction generously donated installation of all markers in support of this initiative.
Approximately 50 downtown buildings have been identified for markers as part of a three-phase project designed to increase pedestrian traffic while providing a downtown activity accessible to both residents and visitors at no charge.
In addition, a marker walking tour is being created, detailing the story of each building and its role in local history. The tour will begin at an information kiosk located in the Downtown.
The kiosk and corresponding map will hold printed materials to facilitate easy navigation. For those who prefer digital access, a page on the Main Street Wilmington website will be dedicated to this project.
Community support from the Clinton County History Center and funding from the Retained Hotel Lodging Excise Tax Account has made this project possible. Phase two of the marker installation is scheduled for November.