Alleged machete attacker’s trial set for March 5


By John Hamilton - jhamilton@wnewsj.com



WILMINGTON — An assault suspect’s jury trial will go forward.

Lee DeBord, 50, will face a jury of his peers on March 5 at the Clinton County Common Pleas Court for two charges of felony 2 felonious assault and felony 3 tampering with evidence. He allegedly assaulted his roommate, Roger Tucker, 30, with a machete at their residence in the community of Cuba, south of Wilmington, in late July 2018.

During a hearing on Monday, Judge John W. “Tim” Rudduck checked with the defense counsel and prosecutors to see if they needed anything further or if a delay was needed. Both said they didn’t, though DeBord’s attorney, Rob Baker, said they hadn’t received the full report from the blood splatter/wound expert they were seeking.

DeBord had fled the scene of the crime in a camouflage-painted pickup truck and evaded authorities for about a week until he was apprehended in Clermont County, authorities said, adding they believe this wasn’t a “random act of violence.”

A self-defense claim was made during a hearing in October.

According to the Clinton County Clerk of Courts website, DeBord had previously pleaded guilty to crimes including felony attempted illegal assembly or possession of chemicals for the manufacture of drugs and served 12 months in prison after community control was revoked in 2011.

He also pled guilty to domestic violence in Clinton County Municipal Court in 2007, according to that court’s website, and to criminal damaging in 2016.

https://www.wnewsj.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/22/2019/01/web1_Court-News_cmyk-6.jpg

By John Hamilton

jhamilton@wnewsj.com

Reach John Hamilton at 937-382-2574

Reach John Hamilton at 937-382-2574