WILMINGTON — The following information is obtained from the Clinton County Health Department and is compiled from inspection reports.
Violations are either critical or non-critical. Critical violations are more likely to contribute to food contamination, illness or an environmental health hazard, including inadequate cooking of food items or poor personal hygiene.
For a more detailed description of critical and non-critical violations, or to file a public health or food safety complaint about a restaurant, contact the Clinton County Health Department by calling 937-382-7221.
The following restaurants or food service establishments were inspected recently and violations/comments include:
• Uhl’s IGA, 444 E. Washington St., Sabina, Feb. 8. Critical: Ready-to-eat pork chops stored with raw ground pork. Person in charge relocated/corrected (Meat Dept.). Packages of ready-to-eat TCS foods expired in deli dept. — egg salad Jan. 25, roast beef Feb. 5, buffalo chicken Feb. 3. System for date marks on open deli bulk meat was unclear. Ready-to-eat TCS foods must be used within 7 days. Expired product discarded. Person in charge to simplify dating method. Ingredient information (including allergens) unavailable at self-service doughnut case. Person in charge to print new (updated) ingredient info to post at case.
Spray bottles (water) in deli dept. missing common name label. Bottom shelf and food product not 6 inches above floor in walk-in cooler in deli dept. Duct tape and cardboard found on racks and shelving in deli dept. These are not cleanable surfaces. Racks in deli/bakery dept. are broken (repaired with duct tape). Shelves in deli dept. walk-in cooler have rust accumulations. Light/heat bulbs in hot case nonworking (4). Hot plate and microwave in deli dept. is not commercial or NSF (or similar) rated. (Suggest contacting fire department about use of hot plate.) Chlorine test strips unavailable for use with bleach water in meat dept. Microwave has food residue accumulations on inner surfaces in deli dept. Black accumulations (mold-like) on ceiling surfaces in retail sales area. Ice accumulated in main and deli/bakery walk-in freezers. Light nonworking in meat dept. walk-in cooler. Lights nonworking in meat dept. and deli/bakery prep areas. Dust accumulated on condensate lines in dairy and produce walk-in coolers. Dust accumulated on fan covers in produce walk-in cooler. Water accumulated on floor of produce department walk-in cooler. Black residues (mold-like) on curtains in dairy walk-in cooler. Chicken/food debris accumulations on floor in deli dept. Food spillage on floor in walk-in cooler in deli dept.
Follow-up: March 8.
• Gold Star Chili, 942 Cherry St., Blanchester, Feb. 7. Critical: All foods in prep cooler under line, nothing was date-marked.
Beverage with no lid under cheese grinder. Wire/metal shelves by dishwasher where dishes are stored are rusted. Wall behind 3-compartment sink is dirty. Light out above hood unit in back. Counter under milk shake machine is not easily cleanable. Counter above make line has finish coming off of it. Employee personal items (coats, purses, etc.) stored on shelves in dry storage area along with food. Cups being used as scoops in cookie pieces for milk shakes.
Follow-up: Approx. March 7.
• Kroger, 1230 Rombach Ave., Wilmington, Feb. 11. Boxes of yogurt stored under cartons of raw eggs. Shred cheese: 43°F, chicken salad 43°F, apple salad 46°F (salad bar). Deli manager took items to chiller; monitor bar. Live mouse running on floor in deli/sushi area. Person in charge indicated would contact pest management company immediately.
Boxes of supplies found on sushi dry stock area. Cover on wrapping equipment in seafood area damaged. Thermometer display at dairy walk-in cooler nonworking. Light nonworking in bakery walk-in freezer and vent hood in deli dept. Rust and rusty screws on floor by hand sink in deli dept. Shelving in deli dept. has rust accumulations. Dust accumulated on ceiling of deli/bakery dept. Trash debris accumulated on grass at rear of building/side.
Follow-up: March 8.
• McDonald’s, 201 W. Main St., Blanchester, Feb. 9. Critical: Sausage gravy 111°F (in center at warmer). Person in charge discarded/will check warming equipment to verify able to maintain proper temperature.
Handwashing sign missing in men’s restroom. Grease accumulated on sides of fryer and hot-hold equipment (french fry/nugget area). Product accumulation near lid of hopper of heat treatment freezer. Grout/tile on floor damaged near mop sink/3-sink. Brooms stored next to soda bib storage and sandwich make line.
• Skyline, 1005 E. Cherry St., Blanchester, Feb. 9. Employee handling food was not wearing hair restraint. Cup found in bulk sugar container. Spoons and forks at drive-thru stored in multiple directions; handle must be first point of contact to prevent contamination.
• Clinton County Head Start, 789 N. Nelson Ave., Wilmington, Feb. 12. Evidence of rodent droppings in the drawers and cabinets in the kitchen. Vent and hood over stove and oven had dust/debris accumulation. This hood system needs cleaned. Ceiling over 3-compartment sink is cracked and starting to bow. Please check this area to ensure no water leaks are occurring, then properly repair the ceiling.
• Gold Star Chili, 1295 Rombach Ave., Wilmington, Feb. 12. Wall behind 3-compartment sink dirty and needs to be cleaned. Floor tiles in kitchen were cracked. Counter under milk shake machine is worn with finish coming off.
• Traditions Restaurant & Catering, 78 N. Howard St., Sabina, Feb. 7. Ledge of countertop next to soda fountain needs sealed.