WASHINGTON COURT HOUSE — A pair of unbeaten streaks remained intact Tuesday as the Wilmington High School tennis team defeated Washington Senior 3-2 on the Fayette County courts.
The Lady Hurricane as a team improved to 4-0 in league play, 5-4 overall.
Allison Brooks, the No. 1 singles player for WHS, is also unbeaten at 9-0 following a 6-1, 6-4 win over freshman Megan Downing.
“Downing is going to be a very nice player,and is the first player all season to get five games from Allison in a match,” said WHS coach Doug Cooper.
The first doubles team of Kalista Adkins and Veronica Ilg pushed their winning streak to four with a 7-5, 7-5 win.
“Twice they were down 3-4 and twice they mounted surges of 4-1 to win in straight sets,” said Cooper. “They just keep getting better every time out.”
The WHS coach said Mai Cooper played well at second singles and Katie Schroeder “played a tremendous match” at third singles.
The doubles team of Sophie Reed and Sydney Ilg were up 2-0 when Ilg got hurt and had to retire.
“Such an unfortunate thing,” said Cooper. “They were off to such a good start in the match and they have played so well together this season.”
Aug 25, 2015
@Washington Senior HS
Wilmington 3, Washington 2
• Allison Brooks (WHS) def Megan Downing 6-1, 6-4
• Anna Nestor (WCH) def Mai Cooper 6-2, 6-1
• Katie Schroeder (WHS) def Jen Richards 6-4, 6-3
• Kalista Adkins/Veronica Ilg (WHS) def Sierra Dawson/Maria Pickerill 7-5, 7-5
• Gretchen Milsted/MacKenzie Cress (WCH) def Syndey Ilg/Sophie Reed 0-2 (retired, injury)