WILMINGTON — With the first two singles positions rallying in the second set, the Wilmington High School tennis team sits atop the South Central Ohio League Friday after a 4-1 win over Washington at the WHS courts.
Wilmington remains unbeaten in league play at 4-0 and stands 4-1 overall.
Washington is 3-1 in the SCOL and 3-2 in all matches.
“Great match against two very evenly matched teams,” WHS coach Steve Reed said.
WHS swept the doubles courts, with Mason McIntosh and Drew Moyer posting a relatively easy 6-1, 6-2 win at first doubles. Jack Romer and Daniel Andrews were 6-4, 6-4 winners at second doubles.
Jonathan Fender and Brady Henry were both down 4-5 in the second set but came back to win their matches in two sets.
“Johnny and Brady were both down 4-5 in the second set and did a great job of bucking down and securing the match,” Reed said.
April 7, 2017
@Wilmington High School
Wilmington 4 Washington 1
• Jonathan Fender def K. Upthegrove 6-2, 7-5
• Brady Henry def J. Behm 6-3, 7-5
• Brayden Rhoads was def by G. Kuhlwien 3-6, 4-6
• Mason McIntosh, Drew Moyer def G. Mustain, T. Kuenzli 6-1, 6-2
• Jack Romer, Daniel Andrews def J. Luette, M. Schroeder 6-4, 6-4