MASON — East Clinton’s Allison Tong and Marissa Williams won three matches and have advanced to next week’s Div. II Southwest District tennis tournament.
Tong and Williams reached the semifinal round of the Div. II Sectional tournament Wednesday at the Lindner Family Tennis Center.
Neither Blanchester nor Clinton-Massie advanced a player to the district tournament next week.
“Congrats to Tong and Williams,” said BHS head coach Matt Sexton. “They played a very good team from New Richmond. To pull it off, 9-7 in a third-set tiebreaker says a lot for both their ability and character.”
Tong and Williams opened with a win over county rival Clinton-Massie (Emma Bailey and Claire Carruthers) 6-0, 6-3. They then knocked off Geygan and Standiford of McNicholas 6-2, 6-7 (6), 6-3 to advance to the quarterfinal round.
Tong and Williams met the No. 2 seed from New Richmond and prevailed in a marathon match 6-7 (5), 6-4, 7-6 (7).
In the semifinal round, Williams and Tong will face unseeded Day and Rempe of Cincinnati Hills Christian Academy. The round will begin at 9 a.m. Saturday at the Lindner Family Tennis Center.
Sexton said Sarah Ujlakyova played her best match of the year against Fischer of Madeira in the second round. “She nearly got it to a third set but fell just short,” said Sexton. “It has been a real treat having her join us this year.”
Sexton also said Lilly Tedrick and Erin Wilson played their best match of the year in a loss to the No. 4 seed doubles team. “I’m really excited to see whaty they will be able to do next year,” Sexton said of his two underclassmen.
CM coach Lynn Deatherage was pleased with the doubles team of Jordan Bills and Hailey Clayborn who won two matches before falling to the No. 1 seed from Cincinnati Country Day in the quarterfinal round, 6-3, 6-4.
Anne Thompson of CMHS also won two matches before falling the quarterfinal round.
“To think that two of these ladies picked up rackets for the first time at the beginning of July and were this competitive is astounding,” Deatherage said. “While the four graduating seniors will be missed, stay tuned for great things from this program.”
Sept 30, 2015
@Lindner Family Tennis Center
Div. II Sectional
• Courtney Graves (EC) was def by Caroline Denecke (Madison) 6-0, 6-0
• Bre Davis (EC) was def by Margaret Hodson (CCD) 6-2, 6-0
• Anne Thompson (CM) def Heather Distler (Norwood) 6-0, 6-4; def Amber Wolfe (Goshen) 6-4, 6-1; was def by Olivia Moon (Batavia) 6-1, 6-0
• Sarah Haines (BL) was def by Alyssa Barnhouse (BT) 7-6 (7-4), 6-3
• Sarah Ujlakyova (BL) def Elizabeth Glancy (CNE) 7-6 (1), 6-1; was def by Michelle Fischer (Madison) 6-3, 7-6 (4)
• Brooke Vineyard (EC) was def by Tommie Shearer (Batavia) 6-1, 6-0
• Morghan Eades (CM) was def by Anna Abunku (CHCA) 6-3, 6-2
• Brooke Honaker (BL) was def by Caroline Denecke (Madison) 6-1, 6-3
• Kelly Deatherage (CM) was def by Priya Chopra (CCD) 6-1, 6-2
• Allison Tong, Marissa Williams (EC) def Bailey, Carruthers (CM) 6-0, 6-3; def Geygan, Standiford (McNicholas) 6-2, 6-7 (6), 6-3; def Reid, Cardarelli (NR) 6-7 (5), 6-4, 7-6 (7)
• Shelby Michael, Kylee Hidy (EC) were def by Cahall, Painter (NR) 6-1, 6-3
• Jordan Bills, Hailey Clayborn (CM) def Rossman, Caudill (CNE) 6-0, 6-0; def Farris, McCarthy (Batavia) 6-2, 6-2; were def by Alsfeder, Lutz (CCD) 6-3, 6-4
• Erin Wilson, Lilly Tedrick (BL) were def by Gray, Schmidt (Madeira) 6-3, 2-6, 6-4
• Emily Speakman, Heather O’Neill (BL) were def by Geygan, Standiford (McNicholas) 6-1, 6-0
• Emma Bailey, Claire Carruthers (CM) were def by Tong, Williams (EC) 6-0, 6-3
Reach Mark Huber at 937-556-5765, or on Twitter @wnjsports.