MASON – Anne Thompson and Hailey Clayborn have advanced to the Division II Southwest District tennis tournament next week at the Lindner Family Tennis Center.
The Clinton-Massie pair were the No. 4 seed going into play Friday in the Div. II sectional tournament at Lindner Center. They won two matches and moved to the semifinal round against the No. 1 seed from Indian Hill. That match will be contested 9 a.m. Saturday morning.
“It was a good day for Clinton-Massie tennis,” coach Lynn Deatherage said.
Blanchester and East Clinton also participated in the sectional venue across from Paramount’s Kings Island amusement park. Neither school was able to advance anyone to the district tournament.
Blanchester’s Lydia Falgner won two matches in the singles bracket.
“It was great for Lydia to get two wins,” BHS coach Matt Sexton said. “Her confidence grew as the season progressed. She gave a great effort against Waynesville’s first singles player in her last match.
“Our seniors have a lot to be proud of. To win a seventh straight league title, and turn the program over to the next group in such strong shape, they should feel good about what they’ve accomplished. We’re going to miss them.”
East Clinton had two doubles teams – Kylee Hidy and Shelby Michael along with Haley Harrell and Sydney Michael – win two matches.
Oct 6 2017
Division II Sectional
@Lindner Family Tennis Center
• Lydia Falgner (B) def Davis (BT) 6-1, 6-1; def Ellis (EC) 6-1, 6-0; was def by Pappeti (Way) 1-6, 3-6
• Jaiden Ally (EC) was def by No. 1 seed Pregel (IH) 0-6, 0-6
• Kayla Allen (B) was def by Decatur (CNE) 1-6, 0-6
• Grace King (B) was def by Walters (EC) 1-6, 1-6
• Isabella Walters (EC) def King (B) 6-1, 6-1; was def by Huhn (Go) 1-6, 1-6
• Raelee Schulz (CM) def Ramirez (CCD) 6-3, 6-1; was def by Major (IH) 0-6, 1-6
• Carlie Ellis (EC) was def by Falgner (B) 1-6, 0-6
• Megan Wonderly (CM) was def by Salmons (Go) 3-6, 1-6
• Nina Lazic (CM) was def by Jarrold (McN) 5-7, 7-5, 1-6
• Alexis Vestal, Korie White (B) were def by Hinkston, Harrison (NR) 2-6, 1-6
• Kylee Hidy, Shelby Michael (EC) def Strasel, Roberts (Bat) 6-2, 6-2; def Brown, Cooper (Fel) 6-2, 6-3; were def by No. 4 Thompson, Clayton (CM) 3-6, 1-6
• 4 seed Anne Thompson, Hailey Clayborn (CM) def Middick, Palafox (Go) 6-1, 6-0; def Hidy, Michael (EC) 6-3, 6-1; will face 1 seed G. Hirsch, H. Hirsch (IH) in semifinal round
• Erin Wilson, Lilly Tedrick (B) def Kohl, Minardi (McN) 6-1, 6-3; were def by O’Toole, Dragoo (NR) 6-4, 6-2
• Haley Harrell, Sydney Michael (EC) def Amiott, Holmes (Bat) 6-0, 6-1; def Glancy, Rossman (CNE) 6-2, 6-0; were def by 2 seed Masterson, Midha (CCD) 0-6, 1-6
• Claire Carruthers, Hailey Stinchcomb (CM) def Fridel, Haney (BT) 6-0, 6-0; were def by 2 seed Masterson, Midha (CCD) 0-6, 1-6