WILMINGTON – With one bracket champion, the Blanchester girls tennis team finished second Friday in the SBAAC National Division tournament on the Wilmington High School courts.
Elecia Patton and Annie Trovillo won a pair of matches en route to the title at first doubles. They defeated Rodriguez and Copper of Felicity 6-4, 6-0 in the championship match.
“Elecia and Annie have made such a great pairing,” BHS coach Matt Sexton said. “They have clicked from the first match and have improved together throughout the season. To see their hard work pay off by winning the first doubles bracket makes me so happy for them. We hadn’t been able to beat that Felicity team and this time we executed exactly how we wanted.”
Clermont Northeastern won the tournament with Blanchester second and East Clinton tied for third.
”I said at the beginning of the season we’d be a handful by the end of the season,” Sexton said. “I think this tournament showed that. We were two head-to-head finals wins against CNE away from winning the tournament. That’s not too bad considering where we started the season.
“I’m so proud of the way this group has continued to work hard and stay positive, and I feel like today’s runner-up finish is a direct result of that hard work and effort.”
The top finish for the Lady Astros was a runnerup spot for Haley Harrell at first singles. She defeated Kayla Allen of Blanchester in the first round but lost to Decatur of Clermont Northeastern in the championship match.
Sept 28, 2018
SBAAC National Div.
@Wilmington High School
Clermont Northeastern 9 Blanchester 7 East Clinton 5.5 Felicity 5.5 Bethel-Tate 4
• Kayla Allen (B) was def by H. Harrell (EC) 4-6, 4-6; def Burkitt (BT) 9-8 (7-3); def Morales (F) 6-4, 6-1. Finished third
• Haley Harrell (EC) def Allen (B) 6-4, 6-4; was def by Decatur (CNE) 0-6, 2-6. Finished second.
• Lexie Winemiller (B) was def by Lowe (F) 2-6, 1-6; was def by P. Harrell (EC) 5-8. Finished fifth
• Paige Harrell (EC) was def by Braun (CNE) 3-6, 3-6; def Winemiller (B) 8-5; def Lowe (F) 5-7, 6-1, 10-8. Finished third.
• Erin Kratzer (EC) won by forfeit; was def by Baker (CNE) 5-7, 2-6; was def by Blake (F) 4-6, 2-6. Finished fourth
• Lydia Falgner (B) def Blake (F) 6-4, 2-6, 6-4; was def by Baker (CNE) 6-1, 6-4. Finished second
• Carlie Ellis, Sarah Ross (EC) were def by Bee, Wheeler (BT) 4-6, 6-2, 6-7 (4-7); def Sheanshang, Grenzer (CNE) 8-4; def Bee, Wheeler (BT) by forfeit. Finished third
• Elecia Patton, Annie Trovillo (B) def Sheanshang, Grenzer (CNE) 6-2,6-3; def Rodriguez, Copper (F) 6-4, 6-0. Finished first
• Maddy Coyle, Taylor Bradley (B) def Hardwig, Ackerman (F) 6-2, 6-4; were def by Benshoot, Ferguson (CNE) 6-2, 6-4. Finished second
• Alexia Garen, Melina Noble (EC) were def by Benshoof, Ferguson (CNE) 6-4, 6-0; def Fridel, Raleigh (BT) 8-0; were def byHardwig, Ackerman (F) 6-4, 5-5 (ret). Finished fourth