MASON – Clinton-Massie’s Nina Lazic remains in contention for a district tennis berth after the first day of the Div. II sectional tennis tournament at the Linder Family Tennis Center.
Lazic won three matches and will face No. 2 seed Abby Nugent of the Cincinnati Hills Christian Academy 8 a.m. Saturday at the LFTC. The winner advances to the district tournament next week.
Blanchester tennis coach Matt Sexton said Nugent was seeded No. 33 in the USTA U14 national tennis tournament this fall.
“All those SBAAC battles with Wilmington’s Claire Burns and Goshen’s Sami Huhn really prepared her for (the sectional) matches,” CM coach Lynn Deatherage said.
The other Clinton-Massie players and all of the Blanchester and East Clinton players were eliminated from the tournament.
“At this point in the season, we know how intense the tennis will be from the private schools around Cincinnati,” Deatherage said. “The girls all elevated their game play and represented our community well.”
Said Sexton, “We were in one of the toughest Division II sectionals in the state of Ohio. You look at Ohio Tennis Zone, and Indian Hill is No. 2, Summit (Country Day) is No. 7 and CHCA is No. 8 in the state, and they were all in our sectional. That’s pretty brutal.”
Clinton-Massie’s Hailey Clayborn, the No. 4 seed in the singles bracket, was defeated in the first round. Despite the loss, Clayborn finishes her CM tennis career with a 62-22 record, breaking the previous career mark of 51-21, Deatherage said.
Jenn Callewaert and Lindsey Amberger also are seniors at CMHS.
“It has been my privilege to coach these ladies this season,” said Deatherage.
Sexton said BHS seniors in the tournament were Lexie Winemiller, Lydia Falgner and Elecia Patton. Other BHS seniors were Calleigh Hixson and Felicity Richardson.
“They helped this team improve throughout the season,” he said. “We’ll miss them.”
Oct 3, 2018
Division II tennis sectional
@Lindner Family Tennis Center
* Lexie Winemiller (BL) was def by Miller (BAD) 1-6, 1-6
* Nina Lazic (CM) def Suttner (BAD) 6-1, 6-0; def Wourms (FEN) 6-2, 6-0; def Lowe (FEL) 6-0, 6-0; will play No. 2 seed Nugent (CHCA) in quarterfinal round.
* Erin Kratzer (EC) was def by Major (IH) 0-6, 0-6
* Raelee Schulz (CM) was def by Morales (FEL) 6-2, 2-6, 3-6
* Kayla Allen (BL) was def by Huhn (GO) 0-6, 0-6
* Hailey Clayborn (CM) was def by Kader (CHCA) 0-6, 4-6
* Haley Harrell (EC) was def by Lewis (SCD) 1-6, 0-6
* Carlie Ellis (EC) was def by Lowe (FEL) 1-6, 1-6
* Lydia Falgner (BL) def Smith (BAT) 6-1, 6-3; was def by Nugent (CHCA) 0-6, 0-6
* Liza Duncan, Kari Cragwall (CM) were def by LaLonde, Grooms (SCD) 0-6, 0-6
* Elecia Patton, Annie Trovillo (BL) def P. Harrell, Ross (EC) 6-4, 6-3; were def by LaLonde, Grooms (SCD) 0-6, 0-6
* Paige Harrell, Sarah Ross (EC) were def by Patton, Trovillo (BL) 4-6, 3-6
* Jenn Callewaert, Lindsey Amberger (CM) def Sheangshang, Grenzer (CNE) 6-2, 6-4; were def by Middick, Horr (GO) 3-6, 5-7
* Maddy Coyle, Madison Ogden (BL) were def by Middick, Horr (GO) 0-6, 0-6
* Alexia Garen, Melina Noble (EC) were def by Nowitski, Blaxton (CHCA) 0-6, 0-6