WILMINGTON — The following information is obtained from the Clinton County Health Department and is compiled from inspection reports.
Violations are either critical or non-critical. Critical violations are more likely to contribute to food contamination, illness or an environmental health hazard, including inadequate cooking of food items or poor personal hygiene.
For a more detailed description of critical and non-critical violations, or to file a public health or food safety complaint about a restaurant, contact the Clinton County Health Department by calling 937-382-7221.
The following restaurants or food service establishments were inspected recently:
• Wendy’s Old-Fashioned Hamburgers, 50 Roberts Road, Wilmington, Oct. 21. Critical: Flavorings for green tea (Fruit Tea Chillers) were being held under time for public health control. Flavorings were missing time label and written policy does not have all required components listed in Food Code. Product must follow proper written procedures for time holding. PIC indicated FSO will maintain using temperature control in cold holding equipment and will no longer hold by time.
Cutting board used at sandwich prep station was melted/damaged. Light bulb non-working in walk-in cooler and freezer equipment must be maintained in good repair. Container of brewed tea and buckets of pickles on floor in walk-in cooler. Boxes of food (from delivery) on floor of walk-in freezer. Food items must be stored 6 inches above floor to protect from contamination. Black residues observed on exterior of ice dispenser on soda fountain machine in lobby. Food equipment must be maintained clean.Floor tile damaged/grout missing in front of fryers, near floor drains/clean outs near mop sink and walk-in cooler and near ice making machine. Light fixture in ceiling above mop sink nonworking. Facility must be maintained in good repair.
• Barrera’s Community Meat, 230 Main St., Port William, Oct. 21. Verification demonstrating employees are knowledgeable when to report illness unavailable. PIC must provide verification as specified under duties listed in Food Code per PIC. Ingredient label missing on retail packaged sausage in retail freezer. Retail packaged foods must have appropriate labeling including list of ingredients when there are two or more ingredients. Light in walk-in cooler and light ceiling fixture above proposed food prep area is nonworking. Lighting in equipment and facility must be maintained in good repair.
• Happy Wok, 1655 Rombach Ave., Wilmington, Oct. 24. Follow-up #3. TCS foods stored in Sobe cooler were found at or below 41°F. Continue to check equipment and food to ensure TCS foods are maintained at safe temperatures. Thank you for cooperation. Light in Sobe cooler was not functional. Equipment must be maintained in good repair. Containers of food in Sobe cooler were not covered. Cover food while in storage to protect them from contamination.
• Airborne Express, 145 Hunter Drive, Wilmington. Oct. 25. There was no procedure posted in the facility for cleaning up vomiting/diarrhea. There was no sign-off sheet for employees regarding reporting illness. All FSO’s must have procedure posted in the facility regarding clean-up procedures for diarrhea/vomiting. All FSO’s must have sign-off sheet for employees to ensure they know when to report foodborne illness. (Left handouts.)
Critical: The following items were in individual cups/containers for self-service without labels: cinnamon rolls (no ingredients); ranch cups, BBQ sauce cups and peanut butter sups (no ingredients). All foods removed from original packaging must be labeled for ease of identification. All foods removed from original packaging and are available for self-service must be labeled and have ingredients on labels, either on packaging of posted above display area.
The vent hood at the back of the kitchen had dirt/debris on the grids. All equipment must be maintained clean and in good working order. the handwashing sink (closest to back door) the spigot is loose and sticks out from wall exposing rust service lines. All handwashing sinks must be maintained in good working order. The paint on the ceiling is peeling off over where automatic dishwasher used to be. All floors, walls and ceilings must be maintained smooth and easily cleanable and in good repair. Note: Delfield cooler in back is being used by vending, not kitchen. Cooler needs to be labeled as such and needs thermometer inside unit.
• Clinton Memorial Hospital, 610 W. Main St., Wilmington, Oct. 26. There were slices of bread, danish, bagels and donuts with no labels out for self-service. All food available for self-service must be labeled with ingredients. (Area can have label with ingredients posted instead of each individual item with ingredients.) Each product must be labeled for ease of identification. The cappuccino machine needs cleaned. All food contact surfaces must be maintained clean and free from build-up of product. Note: dishwasher not working, Facility using paper plates, handwashing pots and pans.
• Buffalo Wild Wings, 143 Fairway Drive, Wilmington, Oct. 26. The clean-up procedure for cleaning up vomiting/diarrhea no posted. There is no sign-off sheet for employees to report illness. All FSO’s must have clean-up procedure posted in the facility. All FSO’s must have sign-off sheet so employees know when to report illness to manager. (Left handouts.)
Critical: There was a container of cole slaw and celery sticks that were not labeled or dated. All ready to eat foods must be labeled and dated when “prepared” or removed from original package to ensure food is “used by” or within 7 days. The automatic dishwashing machine had no measurable sanitizer. Sanitizer and rinse agent was replaced and machine was re-tested several times with no reading. Ecolab was called for service.
The bottom shield on the “True” reach-in freezer was missing. All equipment must be maintained in good working order. The nozzles on the 3-compartment sink had a brown build-up on them. All equipment must be maintained in good working order and free from dirt/debris. The pop syrup leaked on the floor in the dry storage area. All floors must be kept free from dirt/debris in the facility.
• Sams Meats Deli & Grill, 1209 W. Locust St., Wilmington, Oct. 26. Verification demonstrating employees have notification of when to report illness is unavailable. Provide a verifiable manner in which employees have been informed such as a sign-of sheet. PIC has information sheet posted on wall. Wet cloth observed in empty pan near hand sink. Wet cloth in-between uses must be stored in sanitizer solution to prevent bacteria growth.
Critical: Date marking chart was not up-to-date for deli meat and cheeses. Chart indicated Kahn’s bologna as 10/8, roast beef 10/19 and/or missing dates. RTE TCS foods opened and held for 24 hours or more must be marked with a date to indicate day food shall be consumed, sold or discarded. maximum hold time 7 days. Roast beef 45°F, sliced tomato 42°F, butter 42°F (Chef prep cooler). COld TCS foods must be maintained 41°F or less to prevent pathogen growth that can cause illness. PIC removed product and monitoring equipment. Vegetable soup 118°F (Warmer). Hot TCS food must be maintained 135°F or above to prevent pathogen growth that can cause illness. Warmer was not turned on when food was placed in unit. PIC reheated soup to 165°F and turned unit on. Corrected.
Packaged food by RTE for retail sale must have all label components. Packaged baked goods quantity of contents was not in grams and ounces. Comments: ROP beef fillets missing product name on package in meat cooler display case. Please ensure employees are properly preventing chemical and bacterial contamination when handling knives used for cutting sandwiches. Cloth must be maintained clean and dry. Reminder, Level 2 certification will be required 3/1/2017. Provided code information about ROP and HACCP plan requirements. Please review and update accordingly. If needed, submit changes to Health Dept.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU