WILMINGTON — The following information is obtained from the Clinton County Health Department and is compiled from inspection reports.
Violations are either critical or non-critical. Critical violations are more likely to contribute to food contamination, illness or an environmental health hazard, including inadequate cooking of food items or poor personal hygiene.
For a more detailed description of critical and non-critical violations, or to file a public health or food safety complaint about a restaurant, contact the Clinton County Health Department by calling 937-382-7221.
The following restaurants or food service establishments were inspected recently and violations/comments include:
• Duchess Shoppe, 2495 Rombach Ave., Wilmington, April 2. Critical: Several TCS food items in walk-in cooler found expired (berries April 1, bologna March 30, roast beef March 30, colby cheese March 25, ham salad March 3). Ingredient information unavailable for self-service items — donuts, hot dogs, etc. Purse found on shelf with supplies. Mouse droppings found near exit door and stockroom floor. Contact pest control operator and clean facility and monitor. Bottles of anti-freezer stored above boxes of cappuccino mixes.
Employee beverages found on prep table. Level 2 certification unavailable. Verification employees know when to report illness unavailable. Cappuccino containers (2) in unit missing name label. Boxes (2) of food stored on floor in walk-in freezer. Black residues accumulated on air-dry rack at 3-sink. Fingernail clippers found next to oven on food prep counter. New shelves were installed throughout facility, edges have exposed pressboard-like material. Doors of cabinets below soda fountain/beverage equipment has exposed pressboard-like material. Vacuum was stored next to refrigeration unit and sanitized dishes.
Follow-up: May 2.
• MacD’s Pub, 1400 W. Locust St., Wilmington, April 5. Follow-up. One previous violation was corrected. Thank you. Discussed with person in charge that previous complaint regarding foreign matter was determined to be nothing by Wilmington Police Department. Employee who was Class 2 certified no longer at facility. Inside of microwave across from the grill was dirty. In front of soda machine the counter has been repaired but not sealed to make smooth and easily cleanable. In the front bar area, ceiling is cracked. Floor in front of the grill is missing tile, leaving exposed unsealed concrete.
Follow-up: Approx. May 3.
• Kroger, 1001 Cherry St., Blanchester, April 4. Follow-up #2. May 14: Spoke to Clinton County Solid Waste about concerns with trash accumulation and management at recycling dumpsters in Kroger parking lot. All participating entities are supposed to help trash nuisance on property (Kroger, Clinton County Solid Waste, Rumpke, Village, etc.). April 4: Most areas cleared of accumulation except at edge of drive/parking lot on east side. Trash accumulation is less; however, some accumulation still present. Spoke to manager about concerns. April 4: Spoke to Clinton County Solid Waste, Kroger contacted them asking for removal of recycling dumpsters. Solid Waste will work with village to find new location.
Follow-up: Approx. May 2.
• Combs Bakery, 1221 Wayne Road, Wilmington, March 23. Follow-up #2. Three previous violations corrected. Ice accumulated on floor and product boxes below condenser in walk-in freezer.
Follow-up: April 6.
• Cape May Retirement Village, 175 Cape May Drive, Wilmington, March 16. Follow-up. Two previous violations corrected. Critical: Pears 47°F, olives 42°F, thermometer 42°F in walk-in cooler. Comments: Water/debris accumulation under garbage disposal. Staff was re-trained on date marking and cooling procedures.
Follow-up: March 30.
• El Dorado Mexican Restaurant, 1426 Rombach Ave., Wilmington, March 16. Five previous violations corrected. Level 2 certification unavailable. Walls damaged near plate storage/service ledge. Floor near 3-sink/walking path needs sealed? Thanks for cooperation!
• Tom’s Express Mart, 7529 Fairground Road, Blanchester, April 5. Follow-up. All previous violations have been corrected.
• Wilmington College Dining Hall, Pyle Center, Wilmington, April 5. Follow-up. All previous violations have been corrected. Thank you. Chopper was still dirty. Manager cleaned chopper and ran through dishwasher to correct. Thank you. Dirty knife stored between counter and prep cooler. Employee pulled and put in dishwasher to be cleaned and got new clean knife to use at station and was instructed not to store in-between counter and cooler. Corrected. Thank you.
• Cape May Retirement Village, 175 Cape May Drive, Wilmington, March 30. Follow-up #2. Previous violation corrected. Thanks for cooperation!
• Aldi, 1801 Rombach Ave., Wilmington, April 2. Critical: Raw turkey sausage packages found above raw beef packages.
Seal damaged on door of walk-in freezer.
• Blanchester Save-A-Lot, 127 S. Broadway St., Blanchester, April 4. Follow-up #2. One previous violation corrected. Main freezer walk-in cooler door damaged.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU