MASON — In the first OHSAA match played during the Western & Southern Open professional tennis tournamen at the Lindner Family Tennis Center, Wilmington defeated Mt. Vernon 5-0 in the Ohio High School Showcase.
While semi-final play was underway on Center Court, Wilmington was running on all cylinders, winning in straight sets on four courts, while Sophie Reed pulled out a tight win in a third set tiebreaker (7-3) by winning the last four points of the match.
“This was by far our best performance of the year,” said WHS coach Doug Cooper. “Mt. Vernon is a quality program. They play good tennis. We had a dream day. While thousands of patrons were passing by while arriving through the North Gate to attend the semi-finals of the Western & Southern Open, our kids were calm and confident.”
In the other Ohio High School Showcase match, Perry defeated Toledo Notre Dame Academy 3-1.
Wilmington moves to 3-2 on the year and resumes SCOL play at home Tuesday when they host Miami Trace.
August 20, 2016
High School Showcase At Western & Southern Open
@Lindner Family Tennis Center, Courts 5-8
Wilmington 5, Mt. Vernon 0
• Veronica Ilg 12 (W) def Shannon Powers 6-2, 6-2
• Sophie Reed 11 (W) def Hannah Baldwin 6-3, 5-7, 7-6 (7-3)
• Brooklyn Nielsen 10 (W) def Kristyn Conrad 6-2, 6-3
• Allie Kees 9/Katie Schroeder 12 (W) def Mary Harris/Kelsey Plasse 6-4, 7-5
• Kalista Adkins 12/Emily Davis 12 (W) def Kaylee Burke/Stephanie Sant 6-1, 6-2