BLANCHESTER — The Blanchester tennis team opened its 2017 season with a 4-1 loss to Western Brown Friday on the BHS courts.
The lone Ladycats victory came at second doubles where Grace King and Kayla Allen posted a 6-3, 6-2 victory.
“I thought we played very well against a good team all down the lineup,” BHS coach Matt Sexton said. “Second doubles played very well. They’re going to have an outstanding year, and they’re only sophomores.”
Sexton was pleased with his team’s play against a solid Lady Broncos squad.
“Western Brown returns four of its top five from a year ago, so I knew they’d be a strong test to open the year,” said Sexton. “I think we learned quite a bit at each position and we competed well. That’s all I can ask. Overall, we got exactly what I wanted out of the match. It would have been nice to win, of course, but the objective of a strong test to open the year was obtained.”
Sexton noted the efforts of Lydia Falgner at third singles.
“I was incredibly proud of Lydia,” he said. “She played a girl that played second singles last year and hung right with her. She has come so far and is only going to continue to improve.
August 11, 2017
@Blanchester High School
Western Brown 4, Blanchester 1
• Hanna Young (WB) d. Erin Wilson (B) 7-5, 6-2
• Savanna Roades (WB) d. Lilly Tedrick (B) 4-6, 7-6(5) 6-4
• Becca Carroll (WB) d. Lydia Falgner (B) 6-2, 7-5
• Brooklyn O’Hara, Siara Swisher (WB) d. Alexis Vestal, Korie White (B) 7-5, 6-4
• Grace King, Kayla Allen (B) d. Samarra Wagoner, Taylor Lewis (WB) 6-3, 6-2