WILMINGTON — Visiting Council Chair Lion Lydia Houser officiated at the induction of three new members at the Dec. 2 Wilmington Lions Club meeting.
Houser spoke about the history of Lions Clubs International — founded by Melvin Jones in Chicago in 1917 —and how the Wilmington Lions Club is one of over 47,000 such clubs worldwide. The Wilmington club was chartered May 24, 1934 and with its newest members now has 78 Lions.
Over the years ,the Lions have broadened their outreach of supporting others. Originally “Knights of the Blind”, they currently help wherever there are humanitarian needs, such as diabetes, hearing loss, and natural disasters such as hurricane relief.
The Lions, a not-for-profit organization, disperse all the monies they receive from public fundraising back to the people.