Wilmington police respond to variety of incidents

By John Hamilton - jhamilton@wnewsj.com

WILMINGTON — The following report is generated from incident reports provided by the Wilmington Police Department. All those arrested are presumed innocent until possibly found guilty in court. Charges may be dropped or changed in court.

Wilmington police recently processed the following reports:

• At 9:20 p.m. on Dec. 26, units were dispatched to the 600 block of West Locust Street, in reference to a person pointing a gun at an individual. While responding, dispatch advised the subjects had left the scene in a blue car. An officer went to speak with the caller while another officer searched for the vehicle. While exiting their patrol car, dispatch advised that the subjects were in a silver car in the driveway attempting to leave. The officer observed the vehicle backing out of the residence into the street. One officer drew their service pistol to a low ready position. They announced multiple times for occupants of the vehicle to show their hands. The occupants stated that the man with the gun was inside the house. The officer remained with the vehicle while another officer made contact with the resident of the house. Sheriff’s deputies arrived on scene to assist. A WPD officer detained a male in the vehicle and he was placed in the back of a patrol car, followed by the female subject in the vehicle. Officers spoke with the caller, who advised “he heard yelling and looked at his window to observe a male pointing a long gun at another individual.” Officers retrieved a shotgun and pellet rifle from Sheriff’s deputies and obtained photographs of them. Marijuana was located in the vehicle, which was seized. Both subjects were released and trespassed from the property.

• At 10 a.m. on Dec. 24, a 59-year-old Blanchester male came to the police station to report an assault. He stated that he went to a Rombach Avenue restaurant to meet with his girlfriend — a 50-year-old Blanchester female — in reference to possibly breaking up. He claims that they decided to break up and that she tossed her cell phone toward him because the Verizon account was in his name. He claims that about a minute when he was in his truck, the female came out and got on the step of the truck. He states that she wanted her phone back now. He claims that he drove to the back to avoid a scene in front of everyone at the front of the restaurant. He stated that he had the window down and she was scratching and punching him. Police observed injuries to his face, which had scratch marks and a black eye. He advised that the only time he touched her was to push her off the truck when he stopped in the back of the restaurant. He states he then left. At approximately 11:45 a.m., the female called stating she was at the hospital and that she just talked to her son, who the police spoke with, and was calling them back. The female states that she was at the ER getting checked out because she got injured during the incident. She states that the male pushed her off the step of the truck and she fell down scraping her arm and hitting her head on the pavement. Both subjects insist that they never put hands on each other. “At this point, both parties have different stories as to what happened,” the report states. “I spoke with a nurse at CMH which confirmed that (the female) had been in the ER since 9:45 a.m. which is 15 minutes before (the male) came to the Wilmington PD to file an assault complaint,” the report states. The nurse also stated that the female did have some abrasions from where the female states she fell. No charges are being pursued at this time.

• At 5:43 p.m. on Dec. 23, police responded to a disturbance at a South Nelson Avenue residence. Upon arrival they spoke with multiple subjects who advised those in a neighboring area were cursing and berating them verbally. They stated this occurred “due to them going through a fence that is newly placed” A 53-year-old male then came out “determined to receive answers.” The officer explained to the male they would go speak with the resident. The male tried to follow but was advised to stay with his children. “(The male) appeared to be very angry, and was being disorderly,” the report states. The officer spoke with a 23-year-old female who stated “squatters” go through the fence, and she was advised by the property manager only residents were allowed on the property. She stated she didn’t know who these kids were and asked them what they were doing. She then stated that the kids began to yell and curse at her. The officer advised her they would go back and speak with the kids but advised her the kids lived in the area. The female stated she understood. The officer then advised her to stay away from the family and not to have contact with them. She stated she would comply. The officer went back and explained to the male and his kids what the situation was. The male did not like the officer’s answer and stated he was going to go talk to her and yell at her for talking poorly among his kids. “I went after him and maintained control of his right arm and escorted him back to his house,” the officer stated in the report. “Due to (the male) not listening to commands, this was the route I chose to prevent anything from happening” The male was screaming and cursing at the officer telling them to let him go. Once back near his porch, the officer released the male and stepped away. The officer then called for backup on the radio. Four other officers arrived. “(The male) handed all of his belongings to his wife, and gave me multiple indicators he was going to fight me,” the report states. “He took two steps towards me and balled up his fists. I stood my ground while (another officer) stepped in and walked (the male) back. (A third officer) then took (the male) and spoke with him to calm him down.” Once everything was settled among the two parties, the male shook the first responding officer’s hand and apologized for his behavior. The male was advised not to act that way and that he was warned for being disorderly. No further action was taken.

• Police responded to a storage facility on South South Street on the report of multiple unit doors being damaged at 8:39 a.m. on Dec. 25.

• At 12:40 p.m. on Dec. 23, a 34-year-old female reported multiple items were stolen from her residence on North Walnut Street. The victim advised her vehicle was parked in her driveway near her garage that sometime between the previous Thursday night and the reporting date, someone entered into the vehicle and stole items. Items reported stolen included cameras, camera equipment and accessories, Apple products, and her purse along with items in it.

• At 12:09 p.m. on Dec. 23, a 25-year-old Sylvania male reported a theft from his shed at the 100 block of College Street. The items reported taken included a Gorilla wagon with a steel cage, a Wagner paint gun, a weed cutter, and several assorted tools. The victim advised it has been three days since he’s seen the tools since he had seen the tools due to being out of town.

• At 8:12 p.m. on Dec. 23, a 43-year-old male advised a bunch of people threatened to “jump him” while he was trying to get his belongings back from “Tink”. The male stated he was on his front porch when “Fifty” and “Shaggy” walked up to him and told him to come to the road to fight. The male stated he would not and further stated that the two told him again to come to the street and then walked away. The male did not know the names of the two suspects, but only their nicknames.

• At 12:47 p.m. on Dec. 24, a 25-year-old Blanchester female reported that a 34-year-old Wilmington male damaged her driver’s side rearview mirror during an argument at a restaurant parking lot on Rombach Avenue.

• At 9:58 p.m. on Dec. 25, a 22-year-old male reported that someone vandalized his car by egging it at his residence at the 200 block of West Sugartree Street. The driver’s side window was listed as broken and covered in egg yolk.

• At 5:05 a.m. on Dec. 26, a 56-year-old male reported someone stole a foot locker from off his front porch at the 100 block of North Lincoln Street.


By John Hamilton


Reach John Hamilton at 937-382-2574

Reach John Hamilton at 937-382-2574