WILMINGTON — The following information is obtained from the Clinton County Health Department and is compiled from inspection reports.
Violations are either critical or non-critical. Critical violations are more likely to contribute to food contamination, illness or an environmental health hazard, including inadequate cooking of food items or poor personal hygiene.
For a more detailed description of critical and non-critical violations, or to file a public health or food safety complaint about a restaurant, contact the Clinton County Health Department by calling 937-382-7221.
The following restaurants or food service establishments were inspected recently and violations/comments include:
• Pilot Travel Center, 5772 US 68 N, Wilmington, June 15. Critical: There were several containers of sauces in walk-in cooler that were not dated. The whole milk, Half & Half and creamer in self-serve units in the store were not dated. There was a black residue on the inside of the ice chute on the soda machine.
Employee in Subway making sandwiches with no hat or hair restraint. Employee sweeping in front of ice machine with cigarette in mouth. There was a black plastic container stored inside ice machine. The microwave (top) was burnt in back of unit and covering on door was melted. There was a box of mints stored under the hand sink.
Follow-up: July 19.
• Xenia Avenue Market, 659 Xenia Ave., Wilmington, June 15. All unused equipment must be removed from facility.
• Wilmington Middle School, 275 Thorne Ave., Wilmington, June 15. Follow-up. Walk-in freezer still has large accumulation of ice around the door (along the seal). There is also water and ice accumulation inside the light fixture in the walk-in freezer. Called fire department regarding inspection. Talked with Fire Chief Andy Mason regarding inspection. He is checking with inspectors and will conduct if not been done.
Follow-up: June 29.
• Dairy Queen, 1093 Rombach Ave., Wilmington, June 14. Follow-up. All previous violations have been corrected. Thank you. Everything looks good at time of the inspection.
• The Corner Market, 10 Main St., Clarksville, June 14. There is water pooling on inside bottom of prep cooler. The hand sink is dripping/leaking. There is condensate on inside wall of walk-in freezer. The slushie machine has some black mildew/mold below nozzles. Wall behind the deep fryer is dirty. Inside of walk-in cooler has trash on the floor. Floor by entrance of beer cooler is cracked. Unused equipment still in the facility.
• Subway, 657 W. Main St., Blanchester, June 14. Everything looks good! Thank you.
• McDonald’s, 201 W. Main St., Blanchester, June 14. Follow-up. Received complaint regarding “sewage” backing up in the parking lot. Spoke with general manager, said there was a blocked line in front of UDF and their grease trap backed up into parking lot. They had grease trap cleaned and plumber snaked out the line. No problems at time of inspection. Employee working cash register has no hair restraint and is bagging food, making beverages and handling fries.
• Kava Haus, 187 E. Locust St., Wilmington, June 13. Unlabeled food product at coffee prep table. Debris found along the rim of the inside of chest freezer. Personal items (drinks, water bottles, cell phones) found throughout the facility. Water damage on ceiling above the 3-sink and above the dry storage shelf. Debris found on floor under rear prep table and under microwave counter.
• Speedway, 900 S. South St., Wilmington, June 22. Follow-up. There are 2 nonworking lights. PIC turned lights and they came on; stated they must have a short in the light circuit. (3rd Notice.) Cove molding behind 3-compartment sink coming off. Wall beside pop machine has dirt/debris along wall. Floor tile missing underneath energy bars (aisle 7). Overall sanitation has improved greatly. Thank you!
Follow-up: July 25.
• Subway, 993 S. South St., Wilmington, June 12. Critical: In the dry storage the pepper was expired (use by 7/9/16) and the oregano was expired (use by 6/3/17). The bottles of sauces were not dated. Fire extinguisher in seating area serviced in 2014.
There was a small black cup being used as a scoop in the shredded cheese. The walk-in freezer and the walk-in cooler had puddles of water on the floor in front of the doors. Behind the soda machine of the floor there was evidence of insects/rodents. Please contact pest control company to remedy this problem. The ice chute of the soda machine was dirty and had some black growth on the sides.
Follow-up: July 25.
• Majestic Springs Golf Club, 1631 Todds Fork Road, Wilmington, June 21. Hand sink spigot is loose (moves when turning on water). Tile squares around sink coming off. Golf equipment stored in dry storage area along food items.
• Clinton Swim Club, 851 S. Nelson Ave., Wilmington, June 19. Level 2 certification in food protection unavailable. Verification staff has been informed when to report illness unavailable. Probe thermometer measuring 0°F-220°F unavailable. Trash observed surrounding dumpster.