Give warning about fireworks

It is with deep sadness that we bring to your attention the loss of our beloved pet, Penny, which occurred during the fireworks shooter school on Saturday, April 29.

Penny, a Labradoodle, was just over a year old, had been with our family since her birth, and was loved by many. Penny was high-spirited and lovable, had lots of energy, but was also easily excitable. On Saturday evening, Penny was enjoying herself at our home, when unexpectedly the loud booming noise of fireworks sounded. Due to the noise, Penny became agitated and afraid and immediately broke out through a screened-in area and ran into the road, where she was hit by a car and killed.

While there are many factors that led to the loss of one so loved by our family, we would ask that in the future, an announcement be made in advance through local media for any planned fireworks tests or events. That way, all animals and people can be better prepared, and no other parents have to tell their four-year-old child — on his birthday — that his best friend Penny will never be coming home.

We believe that have we had known that the fireworks were going to be tested, we could have made sure that Penny was kept in a safer environment. We appreciate your assistance in helping us to keep our pets, children, and community safe during such a stressful time.

Samantha Schlaegel