WC women’s rally falls short 72-69

Contributed Report

WILMINGTON – The University of Mount Union scored on 11 consecutive possessions to close out the third quarter and held on to defeat the Wilmington College women’s basketball team 72-69 in an Ohio Athletic Conference (OAC) game Saturday at Fred Raizk Arena.

“I thought this was the best game we played all year,” WC head coach Jerry Scheve said. “We put together what we are trying to do much better today. The comeback we made in the fourth quarter showed a lot of heart.”

Mackenzie Campbell led all scorers with 19 points to go along with seven rebounds. Savannah Hooper and Hannah Binkley both had 13 points while Emily Harman had six points and six rebounds.

Mount Union featured a balanced scoring attack as five players scored in double figures including Jaime Sanborn wth a team-high 13 points. Sarah Hessel, despite not scoring, grabbed 13 rebounds.

Wilmington (9-10, 4-8 OAC) travels to Muskingum University Wednesday.

The first half was very low-scoring as neither team shot over 33 percent from the field in either of the first two quarters. The two teams were tied 24-24 at halftime, but Mount Union’s offense exploded in the third quarter, scoring 32 points.

Wilmington, which trailed 56-42 after three quarters, had its offense come alive in the fourth quarter with 27 points. A Campbell three-pointer with two-and-a-half minutes to play cut the Mount Union lead to three (66-63). After consecutive stops, a Campbell layup pulled the hosts within one with 42 seconds to play.

The Quakers were forced to foul, and after Anna Alkire made two free throws, Michelle Lee countered with a jumper off a pass from Hannah Binkley. Wilmington fouled again on the ensueing possession, and this time, Alkire only made one free throw. Campbell pushed the ball up court for the Quakers and tied the game 69-69 with a layup with 10 seconds to play.

Unfortunately for Wilmington, the Quakers fouled with the game tied and a Mount Union free throw gave the visitors a 70-69 edge with three seconds left, and the Purple Raiders forced a turnover on the next possession to seal the win.






Contributed Report