The 6th annual Backyard Bash, sponsored by the Wilmington Kiwanis Club, is Friday night at Wilmington’s Alumni Field as the 8-1 Clinton-Massie Falcons visit the 3-6 Wilmington Hurricane.
The SBAAC American Division football game winner will receive the traveling trophy. The trophy can be displayed in the winning team’s trophy case until the next Backyard Bash, scheduled for 2020.
Clinton-Massie has won the first five contests in the Backyard Bash series by scores of 49-0 in 2018, 48-0 in 2017, 23-21 in 2016, 29-28 in 2015 and 49-7 in 2014.
Other awards given out to both teams that night will be:
• Walter G Sellers Memorial Leadership Award given to a senior player who demonstrates leadership in the classroom, community and on the football field.
• Scout Player of the Week given to a non-starter who had a great week of practice preparing the team for Friday night’s game.
• Offensive Player of the Game.
• Defensive Player of the game.
• Special Teams Player of the game.
Helping with the trophy and awards presentation after the game on the field will be the Wilmington Kiwanis Club-sponsored Key Clubs from both schools, members of the Clinton-Massie High School faculty with faculty advisors Christel Wissman and Bill Ryan along with Wilmington High School Key Club members and faculty advisor Zachary Black.